1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Significant MPG Loss after Replacing 12v Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Steve Waskiewicz, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Steve Waskiewicz

Steve Waskiewicz New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,

First time poster here. I just recently replaced the 12v battery for my 2009 Prius, which had been completely discharged. After replacing the battery, I noticed my average MPG in driving dropped from an average of about 40-50 MPG to somewhere in the mid-20s.

Am I missing some protocol in the battery replacement that would cause my MPG drop? I looked at the battery voltage using the MFD and it was within the appropriate range. Also, no errors have appeared. Am I just being paranoid? Seems strange that replacement with a new battery would lead to this MPG drop.

Any assistance that could be provided would be appreciated!

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Has there been a recent cold snap or change in driving routine (new route)? If the new 12v is bad out of the box (rare), the ICE could be running more trying to keep it charged.

Have you completed an entire tank?

3. Steve Waskiewicz

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No new route. And, yes it's been slightly cooler than normal, but nothing drastically different.

I haven't completed an entire tank yet and will get back to my regular commute tomorrow so I will have additional data.

At the same time, the MFD shows the appropriate voltage range, so I'm not sure whether the new batt is the issue.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Check your tire pressures too; especially if you took it for service. They are notorious for lowering them.

#4 fotomoto, Nov 13, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    edthefox5 likes this.
  5. Steve Waskiewicz

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't take it for service, but replaced the battery myself.

Also, I did let it sit (discharged) for about a week while I was out of town. Could that have some impact?

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome. I'm pretty new here, too. Sitting a week might be a clue. The traction battery doesn't like to sit very long, but a week shouldn't hurt a healthy battery. It will be interesting to see if mileage improves once you're back to your regular habits.

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. When you refuel, do you normally clear the mpg counter on the MFD? If you do not do so, then the mpg counter keeps a running average of mpg since the last time it was reset. Hence, (prior to the 12V battery replacement) the displayed mpg may benefit from thousands of miles driven in warmer weather when the Prius will produce better fuel economy. However, the mpg counter memory is lost when the 12V battery is disconnected.
    2. How many miles have you driven since the 12V battery was replaced?
    3. Are you aware that typically for the first 5 minutes, mpg will often be in the low 20's regardless of ambient air temp because the engine is running to heat up the catalytic converter, thus reducing exhaust emissions?
    4. As previously suggested, see what the mpg is when you take reasonably long drives. If your weather is turning cold, do not expect the same mpg that the car achieved in moderate weather.

#7 Patrick Wong, Nov 13, 2016
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Changing the 12v supposedly resets the ECUs and everything is cleared, so the ECU has to remap/relearn your driving habits. Fuel mixture etc could be affected, so it's conceivable that an initial change in mpg is possible.

9. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's likely a combination of things.

1. I notice I've logged a little worse fuel economy on my scanguage for the first 50 miles or so after disconnecting the battery for work on my stereo system/fog lights. This is likely due to the ECU remapping engine fuel/air/timing as xliderider pointed out.
    2. However a bigger hit occurs when the car has sat for a long period. The Prius has an insulated tank for storing coolant, which it then pumps back into the engine on startup. It can keep some coolant fairly warm for about a day, but after that it's basically back to ambient temperature. The engine will burn a lot more fuel at startup this way, and especially if you only take the car on a short trip, it won't have time to warm fully and you'll see not-so-great fuel economy.
    3. The Prius hybrid battery self discharges several percent the first day, and then will discharge a few percent each day for about a week, slowly falling off.
    4. If the 12V battery that was installed wasn't full, the Prius had to pull energy from the hybrid battery to charge it. The Prius is notorious for not getting good fuel economy when this battery is low
    5. The cooler weather this time of year will reduce fuel economy due to a number of factors.

However all of these effects will disappear once you return to normal driving habits for a couple of days. Report back after a week or so and see if the car is behaving normally.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whenever your concerned about mileage issues you should have a baseline to refer to in the future that way at least you can determine if whatever you had done to the car affected its mileage:

Create one:

Make sure your tires are where you want them pressure wise. Find a nice 2-3 mile uncrowded smooth level road. Turn off the ac or heat.
    Clear the mpg icon Pat's referring too. Get up to 60 mpg's and set the Cruise control. Don't touch the brakes or gas from here on out. Drive on CC for a few miles until the mpg's average out usually 2 miles. Note the mpg reading after a few miles on CC. Thats your baseline. It should read like 60 mpg's or whatever.

That little test will kinda reset the mileage meter too. Sometimes if you just creep around town alot for days your mileage tanks and it will take a nice long road trip to make the mileage re-appear again.

Btw, now that you have a new battery take care of it. Once a month put it on a charger using the front jump points. Will make your new battery last alot longer. And you'll get an excellent sense of the battery's health how it reacts to the charger. I have been doing this for 40 years and have never had a 12 volt battery leave me stranded. Always been able to catch it before as all of a sudden it will not improve on the charger. It happens quickly when the 12 goes south. With no voltmeter on the Prius dash it can be a disaster.

Also if you want to improve your mileage replace the Inverter Coolant. The Inverter is the heart & soul of a Prius. Make it happy and it will make you happy.

#10 edthefox5, Nov 13, 2016
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the Multi Function Display is showing the battery voltage while the car's on, that can be misleading. Try checking with a digital volt meter when the car's off, after sitting overnight is best, to dissipate surface charge.

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Ed means 60 MPH.