1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Silent electric car knocks over pedestrian

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by johalareewi, Dec 7, 2011.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    cyclists are the worst. they ride 3-4 wide, refuse to pull over when travelling way below the speed limit and i saw one run over a little old lady and not even look back.

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they say we have laws over here, but i'm not sure they are enforced. maybe they need noisemakers?

1 person likes this.
  4. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Somewhere back in time, I remember: Look both ways before crossing the street and then look right again! Now that I have a hearing problem, I follow that rule even closer. I sometimes wonder when watching some people cross the street if that rule is still being taught in school.

1 person likes this.
  5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It makes no difference if I am driving my wife's Accord or my Prius, we have unattentive people walking with cell phones, music players, etc. glued to their ears or eyes. What is a noisemaker going to do ?

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe a 140 dB system yelling "GET OUT OF THE WAY, STUPID!"

Tom

2 people like this.
  7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nature came up with the rule Survival of the Fittest eons ago, Survival of the Smartest came next!
    Why are we violating these laws, sometimes it's better to just cull the herd to save the aggrivation of wasting time looking after the stupid!
    It's not nice to screw with Mother Nature!

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nor are drivers, nor pedestrians....people are often guilty of stupidity, no matter which form of transport they choose.

Part of the problem is transportation infrastructure. Drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians can't all be expected to get along when they're forced to share the same road. Ideally, the safest and most efficient solution is to provide separate paths for each.

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is a brush guard cheaper than a sound generator?

:eyebrows:

Tom

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    LOL - what did they call the guard in front of train engine wheels, a "cattle guard" or "cattle chute"?

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Cow catchers", I think they were called. Back in the day, horseless carriages were required to have someone with a lamp walking in front of it, to warn people of its approach.

1 person likes this.
  12. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was thinking more along the lines of a "Cattle Catcher" that steam locos have in front of them. The trick is to get one that does not ding the MPG too much! At low speeds it would divert the cows and their shopping carts into the airstream that is already going the car. Due to wake vorticies, it will just leave them spinning in your wake with a vapid look on their faces! :D

1 person likes this.
  13. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For millions of years (or 8000 depending on your beliefs), humans have SURVIVED through
    to today with lions and tigers and bears and a lot of other VERY dangerous obstacles. Humans have SURVIVED. Predators try to be as quiet and silent as possible. The fact that humans have survived is proof that our senses (sight, sound, etc) can detect even threats that try to be SILENT and stealthy. So if a human today is walking across a parking lot (not a thick, wooded forest) and is hit by an electric car (a large object compared to a lion) that is going a constant speed of 10mph, the pedestrian is CLEARLY being extremely negligent of not being the SLIGHTEST bit aware of their surroundings!

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Laws of the jungle no longer apply - we've built our own concrete version, entirely lacking in natural predators. "Survival of the fittest" has been misinterpreted as 'the biggest and meanest will survive' (instead of the more correct meaning of 'fitting in' to the environment), and recently perverted into 'survival of the fattest.' The wisdom of Never Cry Wolf - that the wolves keep the caribou herd strong by weeding out the sick and the weak - is long forgotten.

Cars vs pedestrians would make for a good reality show, though. No wait, that's been done. :rolleyes:

15. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i think it's less of survival of the fittest.. or fastest.. at this point it's keep every useless person alive... no matter the cost to the rest.. and no matter what freedoms get taken away from the rest...

16. dabize

dabize New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Ahh. America....where we oppose the loss of perspective with even more violent loss of perspective, and there's always just gotta be a law to cover everything.....

Whenever any group gets an absolute privilege over others in any matter at all in America (whether it be pedestrians, the blind, organized religion, corporations, women, school bus drivers etc.), legally sanctioned injustice will follow. Rights MUST always be balanced by responsibilities, even when the recipients look very righteous.

But then, there's also that sea of wingnuts out there........

It's all very depressing

17. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I thought Prius's sloped hood was mainly designed to gently deflect all oncoming pedestrians.

2 people like this.
  18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It has a good CoPD: Coefficient of Pedestrian Drag.

Tom

19. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We should outlaw vehicles and ambient noises that are louder than EVs so that pedestrians can hear EVs. =)

1 person likes this.
  20. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As soon as we outlaw vehicles and ambient noises that are louder than EV's, then only outlaws will have vehicles and ambient noises that are louder than EV's.