1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Silicon Valley -- 2008 Prius package 1+2 vs 1+4... aftermarket stereos?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vprasad1, Feb 2, 2008.

1. vprasad1

vprasad1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I used the Toyota configurator and found that in the Silicon Valley / SF Bay area, the available packages are:

Std Prius: no pkg, package 1, 1+2, 1+4, 1+5, 1+6
    Touring Prius: 6

I already have a portable GPS, so options 1*+5 & 1+6 are out... besides which, I've heard the voice activated DVD Nav system is annoying.

I've heard that the HIDs are very desireable by thieves, so I'm not keen on package 1+4. At $300/bulb, how much energy do the HIDs save compared with the standard bulbs?

The anti-theft system is of interest to me, but not a necessity (I drove a good condition Honda Civic with "The Club" for 10 years); I just moved out here to the Bay area and I plan on traveling around a bit to get more acquainted with the region. Unfortunately, using the Toyota configurator, I don't see package 1+3 available in this area.

Package 1+2 lacks the fancypants stereo, the Bluetooth, and the anti-theft system.

So now the question -- given the $2005 MSRP price difference between package 1+2 & 1+4 out here, if I go with package 1+2, how easy is it to get installation of an aftermarket Bluetooth enabled stereo and an aftermarket anti-theft system in this area? Would I be voiding my warranty by getting either? (speaking of warranties, would I be voiding it to get a paint job?)

If I go with package 1+4 in spite of the HIDs, and I eventually decide that I don't care for the JBL car stereo, how easy is it to replace?

Thanks in advance!

2. BubbaVO

BubbaVO New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You're in the same boat I was. My decision was to try the aftermarket route. See my thread about Audio Disasters.

I was upgrading the stereo; adding an alarm; tinting windows; leather inserts on armrests; sheepskins on front seats; massage and heat units on the front seat; and other not so invasive tweeks.

You'll need some patience. A stomach for it. But in then end I expect it will be worth it.