1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

silly question, but can my tires be changed and rotated anywhere?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by james cook, May 30, 2016.

1. james cook

james cook Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Does this affect the regenerative braking system or anything or is the prius C just like any other car when getting new tires put on the car?

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, any competent shop can put tires on your Prius.

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think it really matters that much, for instance, I've rotated my wheels at the local dealer, in my own garage, and at the tyre dealer's when I recently had the summer tyres fitted. …but (seriously!) - I think the main consideration is whether or not the tyres are "handed" (IOW they need to rotate in one direction only - as both my summer and winter tyres are (check on the side-wall of the tyre, there will be arrows indicating direction of rotation), which means that the rights need to stay on the right, and the lefts on the left). If you decide to rotate the tyres across the car, they will need to be re-mounted on the rims so that the direction or rotation isn't compromised. Personally, I think it a Bad Thing to keep remounting tyres, as to do so tends to compromise the sealing-bead, and is one of the reasons I have two sets of wheels/tyres, a summer set, and a winter set! hope this helps - Wil

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, everything's normal, until you do something like pulling the brake calipers off of the rotors. But tire rotations are normal.

One caveat: the TPMS sensors (typical to any recent car) are proprietary, when installing new tires it's likely best to just leave them be, and be careful with them.Toyota says to rotate front to back only, no cross rotation. Not sure why, and a few 3rd party places (Costco for example) might not follow that.

Speaking of Costco, last set of (directional) X-ICE I bought from them, they managed to mount them so I had 3 rights and 1 left, lol. This was loose rims, and I caught it right away (well, about 5 miles down the road), when I pulled into a gas station to air them up more.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    regen braking takes place in the transmission.

on rotation, i have read that crossing is better, not sure why toyota doesn't recommend. maybe LRR tyres? some said if your tyres get noisy, cross them.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing, not cross-rotating: only two of our rims are getting chewed up by curbs. :oops:

Classic Silver touch-up paint is a perfect match, at least for our 17" OEM rims.

I've also heard, and experienced, that you can develop a slight pull, due to "conicity", and crossing the fronts helps.

bisco likes this.
  7. davidc83

davidc83 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Five
    Depends if you have a tpms system on your tires. Some shops are not set up for tpms tires/system.