1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Silly spare replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tagnew, Jan 3, 2007.

1. tagnew

tagnew Junior Member

Preface: I consider the unholy doughnut an affront, an insult after having spent serious money on a car... I understand most people never change a tire in their lifetimes, but some of us who live on the fringes of civilization (by choice) get to do so quite regularly. My wife used the Prius (07 loaded touring) yesterday and destroyed a tire 90 miles from home. Tire dealer called, looked online, and came up with a replacement 195/55 R16 two weeks out (for a fairly reasonable $120). Evidently the touring model is widely available before its replacement tires are. Then I called dealers and found they have them in their system- for betweeen $203 and $233 (!). I am familiar with supply and demand, and what the market will bear, but this seems a bit cynical on Toyota's part. At any rate, I bent to the ransom demand and will be driving again by Friday. My question concerns that miserable excuse for a spare, the lowly doughnut, that the manual doesn't even address the inadequacies of. No warnings of limitations of 50mph/50 miles in the book, but they are on the tire. So now that this little beauty has defiled the looks and function of my beloved for over 90 miles, am I supposed to shun, destroy, and replace it with a new insult? Is it a disposable item, replaced by both wheel and tire, and how much money is involved? Having had to employ the services of this little joke I don't believe I could make myself pay for a replacement of such a counterfeit. Or is it time to find a steel wheel and actual replacement tire that will truly fulfill the function involved in the concept of spare tire? Where might I find a steel wheel- not Tire Rack as they have not "measured" them yet. I assume the plastic tray will have to go, and much of the extra space for handy doodads. Opinions? Who has rejected this phony, and are you satisfied with carrying a real full size spare?

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I sympathize, I hate the donut spares, but understand the tradeoffs made for weight and cost... The circular pit is too small for a full size tire, so you'd be giving up a lot of cargo room. I like to have 5 wheels and tires the same, to simplify tire rotation etc., but for now just living with the donut.

3. moredes15

moredes15 Junior Member

I bought a full-sized spare and 1 1/2 yards of cloth. (??)

There are 4 metal loops on the floor of the storage area, one at each corner. If you fold down the rear seats, you'll find the 2 metal retaining ring that locks the seats in their upright position. There are also 2 rings near the taillights for holding the upper portion of the cargo net. I removed the carpet protector and the false lid and stored them 'semi-permanently' in the garage. I threaded two bungee cord hooks through a spare cargo net and used the 4 metal rings on the passenger side to secure the netting and hold the spare tire (covered with a BIG plastic bag) in an upright position against the 'wall'. The seats still shut since only the flexible netting was strung through the ring. It adds about 30 lb., but I preferred that for cross-country (west Texas) driving with lots of "middle of nowhere" driving.

I used the tonneau covers' bar to hold the 1 1/2 yards of cloth against the rear seat, and covered anything I had in the hatchback area.

Seems like a lot of hassle, but it took longer to type this than to accomplish the task. When I got home, I swapped out the full-sized rig for the OEM, because the extra weight can't help mpg, and locally, there are lots of ways around a flat.

4. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(moredes15 @ Jan 3 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]370103[/snapback]</div>
    That sounds simple enough, but I'm starting to wonder if a 50's-style Continental kit would be a good cottage industry opportunity?

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got a flat 2 hours away from home. I could not get the crummy jack into a position where it could safely raise the car, and could not undo the tight lugnuts. Finally a good samaritan stopped and changed it for me. It was Sunday so I'd have waited hours for a service truck. Then I had to drive 45 mph all the way home, arriving an hour later than I would have done, and holding back traffic on the two-lane country road. I pulled over from time to time to let people pass, but the constant stream of cars meant there were always people behind me.

I hate that damned excuse for a spare tire and it's one of the very few things I hate about Toyota (and I suppose every other car maker) that they don't even offer a full-size spare as an option. How hard would it have been to design a tire well capable of accepting a full-size spare?

6. tagnew

tagnew Junior Member

Well I assumed that a full size tire would fit if the plastic tray were removed but...it's 1/2 inch too small-aarrgghh. Tempted to get out a big soft hammer and have at the sheet metal and make it fit. Wonder what's behind? To the rear there's definitely space. In front it must be the battery, sides shouldn't be a problem. Any opinions on taking a big hammer to a nearly new car? Really it would just be 1/4 inch on each side. Certainly agree with you Daniel, what nonsense this is to not be able to carry a real spare except by giving up major cargo space. My last car was an audi a4 avant, and the first thing I did to it was modify the space so a full spare would fit. I'm afraid those who care about such a deficiency are in a small minority and we would never get listened to by corporate types, but good grief this wouldn't take much to design it so there were options for us out here in the hinterlands.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thte exhaust pipe might be in the way on the right side.

All I can think of is cost. It's cheaper to have a temporary spare mounted on steelies than a full-size spare mounted on alloys.