1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Silver ring around start button?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Drunken_Monk, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Drunken_Monk

Drunken_Monk Junior Member

I have an 07 prius and when driving on sunny days, the sun reflects horribly off of the silver polished metal ring around the start button. Its to the point where it blinds me sometimes. Is there any way to remove the ring, so I can spray paint it with like matt black?

If there isnt a way to get to the metal ring does anyone have any recommendations about how to paint it or cover it up?

Thanks guys!

2. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    yes you can put tape between the button/Silver ring; itself all the way around then tape over it completly leaving the ring only exposed.. and then paint it..

you have to take button off completely and disconnect the wire behind it.. "white clamp"

3. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You'll have to sand the ring before painting, or the pait will peel off easily. It may peel off easily even with sanding... but you're more likely going to have the paint adhere to the ring only after the ring is sanded.

The best thing to do, is tape it like you're getting ready for paint, use painter's tape, green or blue. put 2 layers of tape on.
    Then use a scotch-brite pad, a standard green pad from Wal-Mart will work, unless you have an autobody / automotive paint supply store near by, then I would recommend a "Gray" scotch-brite pad. In the autobody world the colors indicates the coarseness of the pad.
    gray = 1000 grit sandpaper,
    Red = 320 grit sand paper,
    Green isn't really used in the autobody world, but I would estimate that it is some where about 220 or 180 grit sand paper. 80-180 Grit, is extremely rough, 1000 grit is fine, 2000 - 3000 grit is extremely fine sandpaper.

After you get the ring sanded, remove the tape and re-tape with fresh new painters tape.
    Spray in light even coats, about 3 coats should do, wait about 5 to 10 minutes in between coats.
    Make sure to paint outdoors where there is plenty of ventilation.
    Hope that helps!

4. Gerald R Fenner

Gerald R Fenner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm Thinking mask off with tape and use a wide tip permanent marker. A Sharpie would probably show the strokes to much!

5. maestro8

maestro8 Nouveau Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A paint pen would take just as much work and provide superior results. Visit your local craft store to see what's available.

Galaxy Nexus ? 2

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I would use double sided tape and black construction paper to cover the entire switch.