1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Simple auxiliary audio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rlenth, Sep 13, 2004.

1. rlenth

rlenth New Member

I have seen some discussion of how to interface iPods and such with the audio system on a Prius. A simple and inexpensive way is to get a little FM transmitter that plugs into the earphone jack and transmits a signal that can be picked up on the car radio. I purchased an "iRock 2" from Amazon for about $25 and it works great for me. I've managed to listen to an entire book on tape so far, with no problems.

Advantage of this approach is low cost and versatility (works with anything with a standard mini stereo earphone jack). Possible disadvantage is that you only have 4 frequencies to choose from (88.1, 88.3, 88.5, 88.7), and you will have problems if there are strong signals in your area on all 4 of those.

The iRock includes an adapter to plug into the (erstwhile) cigarette lighter socket. It appears that it puts out a much stronger signal with the adapter than running on AAA batteries. But that's what I'd want to do anyway.

Russ

2. DanH

DanH New Member

The FM xmtr route is definately the easiest way to go. But, the big disadvantage to me is the audio quality just isn't that good. I was never pleased with the audio quality of these things as compared to a direct connection.