1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Simple questions re: Lockpick basic in a 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dylandog, Feb 3, 2007.

1. dylandog

dylandog New Member

I posted this in another thread... but I needed to get the answers pretty quick and this forum seems well-visited. So... forgive me for the duplicate :rolleyes:

OK guys... help a girl out here. I've been reading this thread for a while.. and the more I read... the blurrier it gets :p I just have a few straightforward questions:

1) If all I want is to input destinations/addresses into my GPS as my husband drives... does the Basic Lockpick @ $99 fulfill this?
    2) Is this mod really a single plug and play under the driver's seat?
    3) Does the basic lockpick remove the "I agree" screen?

Thanks in advance and I really admire all of you that have the cajones to dinker under the dash.... I'm just not that brave! (My husband is.. I just won't let him) :lol:

2. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In my 2006:

1, Yes, a new icon appears on the screen, which when hit, removes all lockout features

2. Yes, 2 minutes, if you read the instructions twice and install once

3. I only had my basic lockpick installed for one day before I installed the full kit, but my recall was the full kit removed the "I Agree" option. Others here report it's the basic kit that removes "I Agree", so I defer to the members to confirm/correct my observation.

Regardless, the lockpick kit works great, both in the basic and full kit versions. WHAT WAS TOYOYA THINKING WHEN THEY LOCKED OUT THE NAVIGATION AND BLUETOOTH FEATURES??

3. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes to all three questions.

I have the Basic unit and it automatically "presses" the "I Agree" button after 2-3 seconds.

Also, it isn't technically a "new icon" in the Destination screen. You press the existing "pushpin" icon at the top left. The icon was always there, but it doesn't do anything on the unmodified car. (I call it a pushpin, but it's similar to the icon Google Maps uses to mark a destination.)

As for what Toyota was thinking when they locked out features while in motion, they didn't want the driver distracted. After driving my Prius for almost a year, I found it very easy to take my eyes off the road for too long while fiddling with the nav in motion. It's certainly less safe for the driver to be reading, pressing buttons and entering addresses while trying to keep the car right-side-up. For your passenger, it's fine...if the passenger knows what to do. Coaching someone is almost as bad as operating the nav yourself.

And you can blame the litigious society in the US too. When people sue for almost any reason nowadays, manufacturers will simply try to avoid lawsuits. It's either that or we each pay a couple thousand more for the car to cover Toyota's insurance premiums...