1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Single click when breaking. Single click when taking foot off accelerator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by PYTPrius, May 10, 2017.

1. PYTPrius

PYTPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry, title should read "braking"

I've searched for an answer to this but couldn't find a definitive cause.

2010 Prius
    3rd owner, purchased in January
    91,000 miles

I just noticed today that when I initially press the brake pedal, I hear a single, somewhat faint click. It's coming from the front of the car, like it's somewhere in front of the pedal beyond the floorboard.

Also, I'm noticing a single click that to me sounds like the same click mentioned above the moment I take my foot off the gas pedal.

Both of these clicks are occurring every time I brake and every time I let off the gas. It happens when I'm going straight so it's not specifically an issue when turning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Minor update. The faint single click also occurs when the car is in park. All I have to do is press the brake a few millimeters for it to happen, and it happens every time.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe a relay or something. can you stick your head under the hood, or under the car while someone presses the brake?

3. PYTPrius

PYTPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for your reply. I'll try this and see if I can find where it's coming from.

4. Tj W

Tj W New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you ever figure this out I am now having the same issue. Saw another thread where it turned out to be a brake pad issue. I will check and report back if this is the case with mine. Any help is much appreciated.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can hear a relay click every time I press the brake pedal or release it. It always has. Does the click bother you? Maybe there's a way to stick some sound insulation over the relays.

I have not noticed one when releasing the go pedal though.

6. PYTPrius

PYTPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    To be honest, I can’t remember if it still does it or not. I think I just accepted it as normal and stopped noticing it.

I do know it isn’t related to the pads for me. They were checked several months ago and are fine.