1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Siphon gasoline -- A new/old idea -- it can work?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by KrisTheFrog, Sep 17, 2013.

1. KrisTheFrog

KrisTheFrog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, yes, I know that new cars are designed to foil siphon attempts.

But, recent natural disasters and my friends who have been involved, as well as a recent "replay" of CarTalk have made me rethink all this.

Traditional siphon methods do not work with the Prius. But on a recent "Tom&Ray" CarTalk rebroadcast I heard them mention trying a skinny "aquarium" tube to try to get fuel out of the tank of cars.

Would this work? I am not planning to use this method at all. BUT in the event of an emergency, it might come in very handy for my generators, etc.

Thoughts? Can it work?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If you had 3 to 4 hours, yes. Aquarium tubing is very skinny and designed for air, I bet it dissolves in gas to some extent.

3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, if you must... (Blazing saddles)

Go to a parts store and get gas line hose, it should work:)
    Tom and Ray are a conundrum, imho

Ah, those were the days, teens, all night sucking gas out of every car in town, all day water skiing on the lake

4. KrisTheFrog

KrisTheFrog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, gas hose from NAPA, I can do that, and, if I remember from MY teen days, once you start the flow, it just keeps going.

Anyway, again, I am talking a real emergency. Like no access to town, stores, gas stations for a couple, three weeks....and those who scoff....that very thing has happened to me three times in the past decade or so (two, three weeks with no vehicle access to town and no electrical power).