1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Siri (iPhone 4s) and Prius c 1 or 2 - How well does it work?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by libmanj, Sep 8, 2012.

1. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Hello all.

First off, I searched for Siri and found a bit of info on using Siri and the iPhone 4s with Priuses, but I didn't feel like a got a definitive answer to my question, so here I go.

I'm seriously considering buying a Prius c this month. I want to be able to make calls and perhaps text messages while in the car without typing anything on the phone, and I'd prefer not to pay the extra $2,000 to get a 3 model over a 2 if I don't have to for voice commands, because I already have an iPhone 4s. I recognize that a Prius c 2 doesn't have the voice command button on the steering wheel, but the storage spot just to the right of the parking break looks like a great place to park my iPhone, and I wouldn't have to look away from the road to reach down with my right hand and press the home button to enable Siri.

How well does this work, though? For people with a Prius c 1 or 2 and an iPhone 4s (there must be a few of you on here), are you able to initiate Siri, hear the beep on the speakers, and select a person to call using Siri's voice command recognition and the Prius c's bluetooth?

If so, has anyone also tried dictating text messages to Siri via the Prius c's bluetooth?

Lastly, how well do calls actually sound with an iPhone and the c's bluetooth setup?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and to potentially answer a very specific question.

Also, if I missed a thread where the info I'm seeking was provided, let me know.

2. Gcoop

Gcoop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    use siri im my car all the time to txt
    i leave my phone in the holder on the door to my left with the button sticking up,
    i just reach over and hold it, and then it takes about 4 seconds for the ' siri beep' to come through the cars speakers
    then i say "Txt "person" and my message.

whats different when i do it in the car is siri automatically reads your message back to you before asking if you want to send it.

works well

3. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Wow. Great. How about voice dialing or general sound quality when talking on the phone?

4. Gcoop

Gcoop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    ive answered calls and it was fine
    i havent actually dialed anyone from my car though yet.

5. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info.

6. winnertakesteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I've made Bluetooth calls through the cars built in voice recognition, but I haven't tried Siri. I'd love to have a setup where I can dictate text messages and be notified/read aloud the replies all hands free. Siri theoretically would do this, but so far as I can tell, there's no way of triggering Siri without the phone in hand, and as well text notification sounds don't play over the vehicle speakers, so a buzzing phone could easily be drowned out by music.

Gcoop's method seems best for now, but itd be nice if they let us remap the voice activation button on the steering wheel to siri, and had some audible notification of an incoming text.

7. Gcoop

Gcoop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah it would be nice to use the button on the wheel

the incoming txt message will play over the speakers if you are listening to the music on your iphone via bluetooth

8. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The bluetooth works great! While I have an iPhone I don't have siri I can't comment on that But I am a very soft spoken person and people can hear me fine on the other end and I can hear people just fine. In fact according to my aunt the car gets really loud when talking to some people lol and she could hear them while she was inside another building. But the bluetooth works great and I finally figured out how to answer and hang up calls on the steering wheel I was getting the buttons backwards.

9. libmanj

libmanj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    OK, so I test drove the Prius C tonight. I was ready to buy it, and after test driving it, there's a lot I'd miss about my Matrix, including ride quality and size. I like it, but I'm not sure I love it enough to pull the trigger before trying the C Max in a few weeks.

But anyway, I answered the question about Siri. It works great in the Prius C 2. All you have to do is connect to Bluetooth and then click and hold the iPhone 4s's home button. You hear a tone indicating you can ask Siri something. I asked Siri to call a mobile number, and it did, and I had a brief phone conversation. Then, I dictated a text message and sent it without looking at the phone.

I don't really care about the Entune functionality. I just wanted to be able to send texts and voice dial some way or another. With an iPhone 4s, looks like I don't need to pay the extra for the Prius c 3 if I end up going in that direction.