1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius 6-month trial - Renewal

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kc410, Feb 14, 2015.

1. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just renewed my Sirius subscription again for 6 months - $25+tx/fees - ~$32.35 total.
    This is my 3rd 6-month "trial". Back in Aug 2014 when I last renewed the Customer Rep. made me listen to three different offers (all of which I declined), before, at the end, she finally offered a repeat of the 6-month subscription for $25.
    This time, after I told her I wanted to cancel because the service was not worth the full $ to me & I have lots of MP3s, she immediately offered a repeat of my 6-month trial for $25. I was surprised! She did ask me if I would like a year for $89 & I declined.
    As others have suggested I make a note on my cell a week before the subscription deadline to call & cancel my service. 2-3 days before it expires I call & tell them the same thing - this time went so smooth (for Sirius!)

2. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Good stuff.

They called me a couple weeks back and offered me the same deal which I accepted.

And as others have stated I have my phone calendar set for a few days before my new rate expires and I'll do the same as suggested.

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sirius must be getting desperate - I just received a renewal offer of $19.99 for five months.

4. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    That's a good deal ftl, did you renew?

5 months though? Seems odd, normally it's 6 month intervals...

5. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    No, I found during the original free period after I bought the car that I wasn't using Sirius very much, and here in the NY metro area there are plenty of broadcast stations to listen to, so I've never renewed. They still keep sending me the free trial and cheap renewal offers, though.

6. lintriago

lintriago Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I like some of the Sirius stations but a lot of the really good ones are internet only.

I'm on the 3 month trial but there's no way I'd pay full price. If they offered me a 20 for 5 months, I'd take it but that's probably about it...

7. brent.a.ratificar

brent.a.ratificar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thats an awesome deal! I pay $22 a month.

8. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Since SiriusXM offers several packages, I wish those who post these comments would include the package they are getting for the prices they cite. For example, the basic package is $10/mo, so 5 months @$25 is a 50% discount. The $15/mo package @$90/yr is also 50% off the $180 retail price. That package at $25 for 5 months would be a 67% discount and a very good deal. I don't know what package runs $22/mo. :)

Okinawa likes this.
  9. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I bought a new Avalon last year. After the 90 free trial period ended I bought the $180.00 Select package for $99.00 for one year. I will be coming up for renewal in August. I would like to know if anyone is getting this package cheaper than I paid.

10. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's what I paid and will probably pay again in October. I don't play the "I'm going to cancel" game. The service is worth it to me and I want them to stay in business, so I'll pay the going discount renewal rate. If they offer me a better deal to renew early or something, I'll go with that.

11. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Thanks for the information. My opinion is the same as yours. I have no problem paying the rate that I paid. Like you, if they offer me a better rate to renew I'll take it. I want to renew for one year. I don't want to renew for a short period and keep going on with that.

12. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Thing is I can drive for 800-1000 miles with the money I saved paying the discounted rate during that year timeframe that they offer me for staying with the serviceā€¦ so saving the environment by way of burning less fuel...:)(y):cool:

They called me and offered me the discounted retention rate this time, but if they don't next time Ill play the game I guess. They don't have to offer the discounted rate if you ask to cancel obviously but it seems they do. I highly doubt that they will go out of business knocking a few bucks off of the monthly plans.

Sirius XM - Worth $100 Billion Within 5 Years - Sirius XM Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ:SIRI) | Seeking Alpha

13. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So, are you paying $25 for 5 months of their "Select" package that retails for $15/mo? Or the "Mostly Music" package that retails for $10/mo? Or some other package? That's been my question regarding these posts. If they call before I renew, I'll take the deal too. I'm not opposed to saving money, I just don't like playing "the game". :)

Just an aside. I don't like lying, and that's what I'd be doing because I have no intention of no renewing, but then I guess their greed is the bigger sin, right? :)

FWIW, there are a lot of companies who could afford to sell their products much cheaper, Apple and Microsoft being the 2 biggest examples I can think of. I guess there is no such thing as "too much". ")

14. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have the music package. I did not opt for the few bucks a month extra internet plan that let's you access satellite radio via Internet.

15. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the reply. Like I said in my earlier comment, that means the $25/5 plan seems to be a 50% discount and that's basically the same as the $99/12 plan for the "Select" package. They didn't call me, just sent me an email, so I guess I'll just hope I get the same deal, or better, in October. :)

16. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I'm pretty sure they'll be calling ya! They seem to have a habit of doing so when your about to expire. Lol! Works for me. :)

17. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    By select package do you mean the one that allows you to access xm from the internet? If so then yes I was quoted the equivalent of $8 or so for that monthly but I opted for the cheaper $5 month music via car radio only...

But I do recall that when I asked if I could lock in for a year they mentioned $99 and I could have sworn that was for the basic package, which is not as good of a deal!!??...Confused...

18. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The Select Package has about 140 channels and the annual cost is $180. That is the package that came with my new Avalon. After the 90 day trial ran out I got it for $99.00 for one year. The Mostly Music package has 80 channels. That is all that I need. If I can get a better deal on it when mine expires in August I'll take that one. You can google Sirius and find out what the various packages consists of and the cost.

#18 Okinawa, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  19. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The "Select" package ($14.99) does not include internet radio, that's the "All Access" package ($18.99). The "Select" at $99 works out to $8.25 plus taxes/fees.

If the $99 you were offered was for the "Mostly Music" package, then that is not a good deal IMHO, though it's better than paying the full $9.99/mo for 12 months. I seem to recall that when you go through the ordering process, there is an option to pay the $99 up front for a full year and that basically gets you 2 months free. I've yet to see anyone post a discounted annual price for the "Mostly Music" package, just the 5-month deal for $25. I do not recall if I was offered a discount for the "All Access" package.

I only got an email when my renewal date approached. I suppose I might have gotten a phone call if I hadn't renewed when I got the email, but so far they've never called. When I got the email, I simply did the math and renewed. I don't need internet radio and could probably get by with "Mostly Music", but "Select" has some news and comedy channels we think are worth the extra $3/mo during our 3-4 month road trips.

20. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have way more than 80 channels. So I probably have the select package.