1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius bypass

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by martydallas, Sep 20, 2017.

1. martydallas

martydallas Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Looking for a way to bypass Sirius. or a hack to pull data for the traffic system from my phone data and not Sirius. When the free runs out, I still want the traffic stuff. I don't use Sirius at all for anything else. Any help would be great

2. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe data for the traffic stuff comes from the HD radio signal, not Sirius.
    I do not subscribe to Sirius (annoying company, had to blacklist them on my phone just to avoid all the annoying calls) on either my Highlander or Prime and have no problem receiving traffic information unless I venture into places that don't have a HD radio signal.

Mark57 likes this.
  3. martydallas

martydallas Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    YES has to be the most annoying company out there. I have only lessen to it when in the car by others. I home it is just using the HD radio signal

4. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    @ct89 is correct. It gets traffic from HD Radio. I still get junk from Sirius wanting me to subscribe on my 2014 4Runner.

5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I like/hate SiriusXM. It is like having a one armed bandit in my hallway. If I pass it I'll probably use it, but I don't want to. That said, the free 3 months ends in 3 weeks.

And the traffic info does come from HD radio, and shouldn't run out like the sat radio does, or so I'm told by the Toyota dealer. And it works only around big cities, just like getting weather data downloads over the console. I couldn't get any traffic or weather data downloads in the rural areas of Nebraska a month ago, much less regular FM radio.