1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius Factory Kit Verdict

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by timg, Dec 26, 2007.

?
  1. Factory Kit and I like it.

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Factory Kit and I'm not a fan.

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Other integrated solution

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. External radio

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. tananis

tananis New Member

Ok, I admit I am new to this whole satellite radio thing, so excuse my ignorance. Here are my questions:
    1. why does my prius radio have a "sat" button if I can't just give sirius some sort of code from my radio and have them activate it?
    2. I may be receiving a free sportster radio from sirius because my sister is activating a new subscrition or something like that. As part of the deal she tells me I could activate under her contract for $7 a month. If I get that kit will I be able to hook it into my radio for sound but still have the plug in portability with the sportster to move it into the house and such?

I don't want to start down a road without understanding the ramifications. On one hand I want to not perform permanent installations or changes, on the other it would be great if it could all be integrated. and again, what is it with the "sat" button on my radio system???

Thanks!
    Cindy
    2007 Driftwood Pearl, Package 8

2. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    to remind you that the car is upgradable for a satellite tuner?

3. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sirius does use repeaters, but not nearly as many as XM.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. why does my prius radio have a "sat" button if I can't just give sirius some sort of code from my radio and have them activate it?

Toyota's do not come with SAT kits from the dock. It must be added later. It's just there to show you how to active it if you do have it installed.

2. I may be receiving a free sportster radio from sirius because my sister is activating a new subscrition or something like that. As part of the deal she tells me I could activate under her contract for $7 a month. If I get that kit will I be able to hook it into my radio for sound but still have the plug in portability with the sportster to move it into the house and such?

Yup.

5. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You need the PTS31-53060 which is the Toyota part # for the receiver and you'll also need the fit kit which I don't have the part # at the moment but you should be able to find it with a search on here.

If you're asking can you somehow hook the external radio to the MFD, I don't think that's possible. The kit is a new radio so you would have to transfer the subscription to it. The hardware for the factory kit is also quite a bit more expensive than the stand-alone radios. It is really nice having it all built-in with the only down side being the 10 character limit on the display which isn't too bad for me since I tend not to read it too often in the car.

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Timg

Thanks for the help. I think I will continue to use the add on through the Aux input. It is not that hard to use and since we use only a few sirius channels we can set it and forget it.

Would have been nice to get the real scoop from the dealer however!

Icarus

7. Kidd

Kidd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a Sportster model that Ii had hardwired inot my old car. I had the portability of the radio (receiver) to a base I use in my house. Hardwiring the base in the car is nice because you dont have wires to contend with and you will have your outlets free for other devices. Circuit City wired it for me and their policy is they will remove the wiring free of charge if say you sell your car and want to take the base and whatever other things they had to integrate to make it all work, like a FM mod. unit. I sold the car with the wiring left in foolishly, but I still use the radio in my house. I Have an integrated unit in my Prius ( 2 seperate subscriptions) that I had ordered with my car. It is nice.

8. dfine1966

dfine1966 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I got my Sirius factory unit installed into my 07 Prius, Pkg. 5 with NAV in August 07. It only has 10 characters. There is no way to access the menu button when going to channel 255. I followed the the directions to activate, go to SAT 3, turn on channel 255, press Type Scan 8 times to hear long beep. Cycle back to Sat 3. Nothing happens. My wife has a 2007 Sienna Limited with the Sirius installed and she has it activated. I am wondering if she got one kit and I got a different one. She got hers back in April 07. For some reason she is now getting 16 characters and I get 10 characters for readout. Of course I got all the documents that came with hers. I did ask for my documents, but for some reason, the installer for the dealer through it out be mistake. So now I don't know what unit is installed in my 07 Prius. I think mine might be Toyota's actual factory Sirius unit. If that is the case there may be no way to upgrade firmware or change volume settings or aux. Does anyone know how to check the unit, or through the touch screen activate the buttons. The dealer installed the unit, so I would not know where to look for the unit in the car. It is probably behind the dashboard.

Any help would be appreciated.