1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SIRIUS Radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by wb9tyj, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve Goldenberg\";p=\"41972)</div>
    You'll do that until after the first long road trip, Steve, then you won't be able to take satellite radio out of your car - I guarantee it!

:)

2. wb9tyj

wb9tyj 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    i agree with danny, once its in there, you'll want to keep it there...you'll just have to set up a 2nd rcvr with sirius, that's what i did...i think it was $6.95/mo additional for the house unit...i think i paid for 12 months and got 3 month additional free...so 15 months total for the price of 12...as far as the kenwood unit goes...the control head you see is hard wired to a FM modulator, which sits behind it...had to pull the display out and the cd unit/radio and drop the modulator in there...the modulator is wired to the kenwood sirius satellite receiver, which is located under the passenger seat and mounted with the amp that is already there for the radio that came from the factory...the antenna goes from the back of the vehicle down under the carpet into the rcvr under the seat, then a wire continues from the rcvr to the modulator which runs under the carpet and behind and under the dash
    the car antenna plugs into the modulator which completes the circuit, and +12v is supplied from the cig lighter under the dash...see previous posts about the +12v scenerio...it work very well in this configuration and totally shuts down when power is totally off, so therefore the battery wont drain when off...

3. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think I'll wait for one of the new 2.5 PnP units like the Sportster. I've done enough cutting of wires in there. I only take 4 or 5 long car trips each year. Everything else is local with decent FM available. I'm really a big radio listener at home but since I live at the foot of a very steep mountain, with loads of tall leafy trees, I want to check out the reception. M-X is a No Go. Their satellites are too low.
    My next long drive is to Las Vegas in November. I should have a 2.5 unit to try in a car kit by then. I would have loved the fully integrated M-X Toyota unit but have to stick with Sirius for home use.