1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirius sound quality

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by misslexi, Jun 18, 2008.

1. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wondering if anyone else finds the sound quality with Sirius to be less than stellar?

I've installed a fairly "sirius" (couldn't resist) sound system incrementally over the last couple of months, it seems every time I advanced the audio system, Sirius sounded worse.

It is now 50% pathetic.

It's not just tonality or voicing, it's the spacial aspects too.

Hate to say this but sometimes I wonder back to FM for relief.

Anyone know if they are using lossy compression? Sometimes I hear what I can only describe as digital artifacts, what the first CD players sounded like, hardness, glare, spittiness and such. Most of it in the treble registers.

I used to feel pretty smug about snagging a lifetime subscription when it was offered at a fire sale price, now I'm not so sure.

2. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sirius sound quality depends on the channel. Some are excellent and crisp, others are downright muddled, scratchy and terrible. In general, sound quality is usually very good.

3. OrlandoGuy

OrlandoGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have to agree...it depends on the channel you are listening to. Some sound amazing..some just like FM.

4. jackal454

jackal454 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Interesting,

I have had 2 built in factory sirius systems and one add on system which transmits through fm. I have had nothing but excellent sound from all 3. I just bought a sirius tv system for my new prius with 2 headrest tv's, so I wont be using the factory sirius add on on the toyota.

If yours is an add on, maybe you can improve the antenna location? check the connections? change the fm broadcast channel? If its a factory, I dont know except checking connections......

Good luck, It should not have any sound issues imho

Dominic

5. Wa1hog

Wa1hog Old Blind Hippie

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    With outboard receivers (I have both XM and Sirius),
    The method you use to get the sound to your system really matters.

Good FM transettermitter
    Better Casset adaptor
    Best Aux input

6. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the feedback (probably a bad choice of words in the audio section).

I'd always used a portable Sirius tuner before but with this system I went with a tuner that interfaces directly with the Kenwood DDX8032 head unit. It's supposed to be as good a connection as a person can get, at least as good as AUX-IN.

I totally agree with skruse, some channels sound pretty good, some are a Wth?

Even within the same channel, a song will sound good one time and not-so-good another time.

I've noticed too that my signal is quick to drop compared to what I'm used to. I mean one freakin' tree being blown past at 50 shouldn't cause a blackout when it never used to. Maybe jackal454 is onto something with the antenna thing. I'll check into that.

7. Tdoff1

Tdoff1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    see my post from today about the XM booster I installed. I am sure Sirius has something similar. Made a HUGE difference in my reception and cost $29, Best Buy.