1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SIRIUS Starmate Replay fits Prius like a glove...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SCDrJ, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bad monkey @ Sep 22 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]323473[/snapback]</div>
    Soon, I hope to hook up the wired FM relay so I can get better sound quality. I'm planning on trying one in my wife's car first. It's a lot easier to get to the back of the head unit in her car. I hope to get that done this weekend.

About the heat... I haven't noticed any problems having it in the cubby hole. I do keep an eye on it though, or rather a finger. If it gets too hot I'll suffer and listen to regular radio for a while so it can cool down. But no problems yet.

2. scoobydrewl

scoobydrewl New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Sep 21 2006, 07:41 AM) [snapback]322738[/snapback]</div>
    I just received my starmate and installed it. I decided to place the antenna on the center speaker grill. Then I drilled a 1/2" hole in the back of the CD tray to run the wires. The power cord is the only thing that you can really see before it gets tucked in. I ran the a 6 foot 1/8" mini stereo cable underneath the carpet and notched out the center console so it comes out just under the lid. I only had to take apart the right side vent and the center plastic skirt.

Works great, glad you guys gave me the idea to do it!

3. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Sep 22 2006, 02:20 PM) [snapback]323484[/snapback]</div>
    The wired FM relay works great in my wife's car. I hope to install one in the Prius soon.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scoobydrewl @ Sep 29 2006, 04:59 PM) [snapback]325744[/snapback]</div>
    Scoobydrewl, that sounds like a nice installation. Pics would be great, so others can do the same. Just a thought.

4. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just installed the Wired FM Modulator Relay and it works great! I followed the directions for the XM installation from Metrotpn, well the first half anyway.

I cut a small hole in the back of the CD tray with a Dremmel and ran the wires through it. (Sorry, no pictures - it's not that exciting.) Now it's a completely invisible installation. B)

Of course, all you 2006+ MY Prii don't have to worry about this because you have the aux jack. <_<

But anyway, hooray for static-free Sirius! :D

5. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Sep 30 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]326075[/snapback]</div>
    1) How about a picture of the final installation?

2) Did you use the "profesional installation" finish plate?

3) To you the AUX In/Line Out instead of the FM Modulator Relay, get a compatible AUX In adapter (like the Vais) and install it, run the LIne Out to it. This can all be done behind the dash... Of course you have a working installation and do not need to do this, but it may help another Prius owner...

6. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Oct 1 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]326461[/snapback]</div>
    I'll try to get some pictures soon. I didn't use the finish plate because Best Buy didn't have one. I also wanted the option to keep the CD tray for extra storage behind the Starmate. The Vias, or other Aux In adapter, would have been nice, but more costly that the $20 relay. It will probably be a future project though. I'll take pictures of that one.

Again, I apologize for not taking pictures of the installation. I was in a time crunch and didn't want to take the time to take pictures. I know it would have only taken a few more minutes in the long run. I promise pictures will be posted soon. Hopefully tomorrow night, but more likely Tuesday morning.

7. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here is the installation of my Starmate in the CD tray. I have updated my file from the beginning, so it is complete from running the Sirius antenna behind the factory antenna to drilling the hole in the CD tray and installing the FM relay.

Enjoy.

8. ajprius

ajprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Oct 3 2006, 07:51 AM) [snapback]327239[/snapback]</div>

One thing I love about our older Sirius Roadster unit is that we can move it in and out of the car into the house, for example on the weekends or for a party or whatever. (however since we got the Prius I have not put it back in the car.... since there really aren't any good spots for it to go... that I like anyway.) I've seen a few pics in the forum but they all have a downside.

Does the starmate offer this capability or is it fixed?? I'm pretty sure it is fixed right? :(
    Any ideas on a unit that would fit in that same slot, but also could be removed and used in the house?? :huh:

Thanks

9. Skwyre7

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajprius @ Apr 26 2007, 06:08 PM) [snapback]430794[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know how the current version (Starmate 4) fits. I think it requires a docking station, but I'm not sure. If they still make a DIN holder for the Starmate, then you could remove the CD tray and put in the DIN holder. You could still have the door thingy. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

10. ajprius

ajprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Apr 27 2007, 07:29 AM) [snapback]431076[/snapback]</div>
    Ya I was thinking about that as well, and was hoping perhaps someone had given it a go, if it mounts like our sportster, from the top pushing down, then there may not be enough height to dock it? But not sure about that...