1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sirus Satellite Radio In 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by suebeegrl, Jan 23, 2006.

1. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

The traffic/weather station has a lot of distortion. It almost sounds like a rattle, but I listened closely and it is coming from the speakers and varies with volume, so it's part of the actual broadcast. No other station does it, though the talk stations are less clear than music stations due to the greater compression used on them.

2. 2006Black

2006Black New Member

I left the car with Kearney Mesa Toyota overnight. (They are part of the same company that owns Longo.) They have now eliminated the bad audio associated with the fully-integrated Sirius radio. According to the service invoice, they installed jumper wires at the Sirius receiver. I also have the large windshield-mounted inside antenna. I don't mind it being there. I do find more drop-outs when I pass through underpasses than I do with the external antenna on my 2002 Prius.
    --Peter
    2006 Black, Package 3

3. deohair

deohair New Member

Glad to hear that you got the Sirus problem solved.
    Did Kearny Mesa Toyota replace the radio in your Package 3 or just a jumper wire?
    Do you think the drop-outs in reception under the overpasses are due to the inside antenna?
    Don in UTC

4. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

I also have a 2006 Package 3.

I am currently using the SiriusOne. I really would like a Factory Integrated solution.

Your antenna was installed behind the mirror. Is this the Sigma Antenna? Do you have a picture of it installed?

Are you having any static or noise problems? Some users have reported that with 2006 Prius cars and Sirius Radio using the kit for the Toyota Solara.

Good luck with your installation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tjbrooks @ Jan 25 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]197075[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2006Black @ Mar 3 2006, 03:17 AM) [snapback]219539[/snapback]</div>
    Do you have the phone number for Kearney Mesa Toyota? I would like to contact them about their fix for the bad audio.

5. mike_m

mike_m New Member

I too would really love to see pics of how that internal winshield antenna is mounted. Anybody????

6. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ May 5 2006, 06:21 PM) [snapback]250490[/snapback]</div>

I found this for you. Please keep us posted if you find anything.

Kearny Mesa Toyota
    5090 Kearny Mesa Rd
    San Diego, CA 92111

(800) 258-6968

7. deohair

deohair New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ May 5 2006, 04:45 PM) [snapback]250532[/snapback]</div>
    I have a Prius 2006 with package #6 and have had no problem with static. The reception is clear on all the channels. The system comes up on the MFD perfectly.

Some persons who have had package #3 have experienced static problems on some of the voice channels. Evidently, not all Prius radios are created equally.

The antenna is on the right of the rearview mirror and actually prevents the sunvisor from going all the way forward. I have attached a picture of the antenna box taken from the passenger side.

Don

8. ErikU

ErikU New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OH MY!!!!! That thing is huge!!!! :lol: :eek: :blink: Why is it so damn big??!!! It looks bigger than the rear view mirror. Im not trying to make fun but come on. Here I was trying to imagine and see if I could get used to an antenna on the windshield....but I dont think I ever could at that size. I have XM in my car now and really would like to get it installed in the prius, but I dont think I could do this. The antenna on my car now is about the size of a large pink eraser and have no problems whatsoever with the reception. I think Im gonna wait for something else......sucks because I love SAT radio. :(

9. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deohair @ May 7 2006, 01:29 AM) [snapback]250999[/snapback]</div>
    There is no reason you need to use that antenna, in fact its probably a bad idea. The antenna should be mounted outside the car on the roof. They make ones much smaller that that brick. I've never seen that antenna before. Go grab an antenna from somewhere else and bring that to your dealer and have them use it and have them mount it on the roof of the car.

EDIT + CORRECTION!!!
    My bad. This is a SIGMA antenna made for SIRIUS. I've not read any reports about this antenna. I'm wondering how it compares to a roof mounted antenna performance wise. Since the SIRIUS satellites are directly overhead this might not be all that bad. Let us know how it works out for you!

10. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deohair @ May 7 2006, 01:29 AM) [snapback]250999[/snapback]</div>

Thanks Don! Can it be seen from the outside of the car? I can live with it as long as it is not visible from outside.

11. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ May 7 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]251093[/snapback]</div>
    I just bought a 2006 (package 9) from Westbury Toyota in Westbury, NY. They included a free Sirius radio with the car along with a 9 month subscription. I was told to come back to the dealership 48 hours after taking delivery to have my radio activated. Until I returned, the radio received only 8 stations. Now it gets all of the Sirius network.

I haven't tried removing the cover on the "antenna", but I suspect that it is the entire system including the antenna and all the electonics. Since the radio itself provides the human interface, the electronics can be made pretty small. The unit is big enough to have 3 XM Roady units inside.

So far so good. Siruis has about the same mix as the XM unit that I had on my other car, and it's certainly great to see the stations up on a big display. I don't like the truncating of the artist and title to 10 characters. Is this a Toyota problem or a Sirius problem?

Sy Cohen

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(syclone @ May 9 2006, 04:26 PM) [snapback]252333[/snapback]</div>
    OOPS! I meant package 5 - just wishful thinking, I guess.

12. scionfriar

scionfriar Junior Member

So, I just ordered a new prius through Longo and it should be in in 4 weeks or so. When I get the call, should I ask about the Sirius tuner and free service?

13. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scionfriar @ May 12 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]254310[/snapback]</div>

I would ask about it now. When I ordered mine, they listed it on an "IOU" type of sheet that they will do when the car comes. I understand that it is an included thing with Sirius.

14. scionfriar

scionfriar Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ May 12 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]254341[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks...I emailed my sales person and he said sure, but he thinks you can only get Sirius with the JBL sound system. I got package #3. So he's checking...

15. mike_m

mike_m New Member

Ya know what? I think you are right, because that was a determinig factor on why I went with #5. I remember my salesperson saying it had to be the JBL also. :( Maybe if they can't do it, they can throw in something else, like the floormats, etc.... I would think the Sirius and subscription should be worth at least 200-300 bucks.

16. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    They added the Sirius and 9 months in my car. I didn't ask for it, they just infomed me that it was there when I went to pick up the car. I am not complaining, mind you, and my wife listens to it all of the time.

BTW, my Sirius just died. Got in the car one day, turned it on, and all of my stations were blank. The present had the channel numbers, but no text and no audio. After a day or so, I also lost the ability to change the station in SAT mode.

Took it in for service: A part went bad (got the car in Jan), and they aren't allowed to fiddle with it. They just have to take the part out (or the whole thing?), and send it in for a replacement part. I have the car back now, w/ no SAT and went the replacement part comes in, they will buzz me set up an appointment for the fix.

Hmm..I need to call my salesman to ask for an extension for my 9 months of free SAT service.

Hey!!! While they are at it, maybe I can get them to fix the Voice Control problem where saying "AM" will actually get it to switch to AM radio (right now, it says in response "AM Radio", but doesn't actually change the mode).

17. sickle10

sickle10 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(deohair @ Feb 10 2006, 09:03 AM) [snapback]207053[/snapback]</div>

Is the free deal available at all Toyta Dealers? I just took delivery and they didn't mention it.

18. deohair

deohair New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ May 7 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]251093[/snapback]</div>
    It really cannot be seen from outside of the car. Part of the antenna is behind the darken part of the window which is behind the rear view mirror. It is noticeable from the passenger's side and prevents the sun visor from going fully forward. It's no problem from the driver's side.
    Don

19. Zarzoo

Zarzoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just got line to get a Prius (first time) and the dealership here in South County, Rancho Santa Margarita Toyota told me that the service you guys are getting for free would be $100 from them. Basically hardware, installation, plus 9 months of service for $100. I need to find out why they are charging, while other dealerships are not.

Any ideas guys? :blink:

Nick

20. mike_m

mike_m New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Zarzoo @ May 29 2006, 02:30 AM) [snapback]262293[/snapback]</div>

I'd say, "they is full of shizinit". Again, my dealer isn't charging. But I just found out that I can'
    t get it because my car doesn't have the navigation. They are going to hook up my Exact unit in my car free of charge, and give me a check for the 9 months subscription. I am kinda happy this happened, because my Exact Vizor unit is smaller than that internal antenna they would have had to install in my car.