1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sister-in-law "slams into gear" -- well her mini-van does...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My wife talked me into changing the wiper blades and oil and air filters and polishing out the headlight lenses on her sister's 2001 Chrysler minivan. Yes, the year that was the most unreliable of a very unreliable vehicle.

Amazingly, she is just touching 100K on the thing and has not had any real issues.

EXCEPT, when I started the van it roared loudly and felt as if it were slamming into gear. But, all I did was start the van.

I had my foot on the brake, one hand on the steering wheel and the other hand was turning the key. I never moved the shifter from park.

The roar went away immediately and it settled into a typical idle. Shifted into drive and drove it a few miles with no issue and then changed the oil and filter.

She said it does that usually when she first starts it after it sits for several hours. And, indeed, I did not notice it again.

I googled, but found nothing.

Any ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    does it lurch forward against the parking pawl like a prius?

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure if it lurches. If it does, it does not do it much. I mean, I don't recall feeling as if it was trying to roll forward. It just felt as if something under the car was slamming into place.

And, I really can't say that the transmission is doing it. Although, for some reason that just "seems" like it is. The transmission on this model is noted as highly unreliable, but as I mentioned, she has no complaints. Checked all fluids -- including transmission. All good.

She is a divorced 50-something with not a lot of cash, otherwise I would tell her to junk the heap (and a heap it is -- doing the typical Chrysler peeling paint pox thing, the headliners are all sagging loose, dash padding separating, seats all stained thanks to her kids in years past, etc.).

Could gasoline be pooling somewhere it shouldn't?

bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not bad for 20 years old.

we had a number chrysler/dodge minivans when the kids were growing up. they weren't too bad. there was a tranny problem and ours was under warranty.
    the only thing i remember cold start was the high rpm howling for a few minutes until it warmed a bit.

we also tried a windsatr which was known for headgaskets around 85k and sure enough...

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    First check for any open recalls.

Then I'd research the idle air control valve...

moto g(7) power ?

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My old man used to have a 99 Jeep Cherokee and it had issues with starting as the fuel rail was right above the exhaust manifold:confused:.

Let's just say you had to "prime" the system prior to attempting to start as most of the fuel would be evaporated:whistle:.

We ended up wrapping the fuel rail in insulation and that helped the situation out:).

I would check the fuel delivery system as well as the air intake, maybe clean the throttle body and MAF sensor while you are there;).

Something is causing the mix to rev the engine at the start, so don't start in the deep end of the pool(y).

Stevewoods and Trollbait like this.
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The 2013 Sonic had a noticably higher idle rpm on start up. This was normal for getting the engine up to temp.
    Could this be that, but less refined with age?

Stevewoods likes this.
  8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm, some good suggestions. Thanks.

Getting more into this than I want to, but she lost her job as did so many other folks and her unemployment has gone bye-bye, so I feel obligated to try and help her out and ....well...you know.

Ah, the life of a retired guy (who still works 20 hours a week:rolleyes:).

Raytheeagle likes this.