1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Site update suggestions for Danny

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by efusco, Mar 25, 2006.

1. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    ooh, ooh <raises hand>. Here's an easy one. Why is the latest topics box on the right on the home page and on the left on forum pages? GUI inconsistencies like that bug me.

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We need [you] back!
    (That should put a smile on [you]'s face when [you] reads this . . . or maybe confusion because [you] doesn't remember leaving.) There are also quite a few spring loaded threads out there which are patiently awaiting the day. :lol:

We also need some more smilies. The current crop doesn't cover a large enough range of emotions. We especially need the [puke right] and [puke left] dudes for facilitating intelligent conversation in FHOP. ;)

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    having scroll bars on pix would suck... i think all pix should be auto-resized to fit and be clickable to open in a new window if you should desire to see the pic in its original glory

4. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I use SharpReader. For address, subscribe to http://www.priuschat.com/rss.php.

5. SluggoLovesNancy

SluggoLovesNancy New Member

I RSS too for the most part. My RSS request would be to split the author name from the thread name in the title field. Currently the title says something like "jeneric: Site update suggestions..." The author field is blank. Splitting the two would allow us to sort by thread (most useful to me) instead of / in addition to author.

(And I remember the [you] tag saying goodbye about a month or so ago.... Was in protest of not being turned on here)

6. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to see an outline mode to the threads. I put up a post on this earlier, but didn't get any responses on how to make it work. Basically, there's outline, normal, and enhanced linear or whatever. The outline is supposed to make it so you can see people's responses to a particular post on a thread (like Yahoo finance msg boards), but clicking on the link does nothing. I still only see the outline and the very first post only. It's not a problem for threads less than a page, but after that a lack of outline can be cumbersome.

I agree auto-shrinking pictures, with a link to see it full-size would be a neat feature.

I need to check out the member map, I didn't know that was there. I learn something new everytime I come here!

nerfer

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i agree, [you] needs to come back. of course, i'm all for the complete disorder and chaos it causes. :lol:

also, can we do animated smileys? ooh, that would be fun.

i thought there was a maximum picture size to be posted here, but for some reason some pictures show up as freakin' huge and totally skew my browser window. that might be nice- a dimension limiter or automatic thumbnail views rather than huge honkin' pictures in the same window.

8. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For every suggestion implemented, the member who suggested it pays Danny twenty dollars!

Which brings me to the topic of member sponsors. Until the most recent software switch, I was quite proud every time I logged on and saw "Platinum Sponsor" over my name. And on a personal, web owner, perspective, I would like to think that seeing other members as Bronze, Silver and Platinum status might have motivated other members to throw their money where their fingers are.

[​IMG]

Oh, and points!!!! Bring back the points. Sure they didn't buy anything, but from time to time, it was fun to give points to other members when they deserved some personal recognition.

Patrick, these are for you: [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    *sigh* i was a platinum sponsor too... but i kinda frittered away most of my points... never could follow a budget.

10. LisaMarli

LisaMarli Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I too miss all the smileys. I had the party one in my signature.

And the place to find the latest ten topics going from right to left drives me nuts as well.

This sponsor will be back as soon as Danny sets it up. I've already told him so!

And I never did figure out points, but they were fun!

Fun is always an important factor in any chat group.

Now splitting my time between PriusChat and LIve Journal, where all my non-Prius friends hang out.

Lisa

11. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The above (from another thread) is a brilliant idea - an area in the KB for recalls & TSBs.

I eagerly second it as an update suggestion...

12. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd also like to second upgrading the RSS feed.
    Currently I'm only received 20 RSS items from PriusChat per day regardless of the actual number of postings. Other subscriptions are delivering all their new daily feeds.

Thanks, Danny!

13. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

The option of blocking FHOP, et. al. would be very nice.
    The option of blocking threads started by specified users would be nicer.

If all you want is a crowd then go for it. <_<

14. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think Kiloran raises a very thought provoking point here. Just what is the point of PriusChat anyway?

What is the definition of success? Just numbers of members? Just the number online each day? The ease of access to information about the Prius? The avalability of help in living with the Prius? A fun place to Flame? A fun place to fluff? A place to have a "community" based on the Prius (whatever that is)? Or is it just to exist as opposed to being ignored?

Or is it an accident which is taking whatever shape it happens to take?

Allan de

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the term "community" has been used over and over. If it were only Prius data there would be little to keep some of us here. My questions about the Prius are so esoteric now that there are only a handful of folks that even understand my questions and even fewer are likely to know the answers.

But when there is community, a sense that there's a little more to the experience than just a very narrow subject it gives me reason to come hang out here for the innumerable hours I'm here every day.

Kiloran and others who don't want the 'fluff' and politics can easily ignore it. I just don't accept the excuses. It's their own self-discipline that prevents them from ignoring it, but it's easier to blame other people or problems with the web site.

For a long time I complained about the commercial sales advertising at PriusOnline. Then someone pointed out that I could just read the individual forums that I was interested in. That was the easiest solution and it works great. I read the main, Q&A, and Tech forums, none of the others and never have to deal with all the commercial BS.

Doing the same here would be just as easy.

Now, that said, I'm very much for giving more control over what content any individual is able to view and restricting FHOP on request seems a good option to offer.

16. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Minor, but daily pet peeve. Why do I have to tell PriusChat who I am each time the browser is reopened? Other forums I am subscribed to don't require this unless I blow away all of my cookies.

PriusChat gives me the "welcome guest" login instead. But my name and login are stored and show up. That means I have to hit the "Go" button several times a day because I rarely leave the browser open. Is there a way to have PriusChat store a persistent cookie?

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a function dependent, I think, upon which page you have your browser bookmarked to. HiHychat, PC sister site, I have to hit the 'go', at PC I don't.

18. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    If you consider that time well spent (your Moderatiing duties notwithstanding) what of its purpose?
    Would those with a narrow interest avoid PriusChat without the other stuff? Do they require attachment to the Prius to fluff and flame? Get to the point, please. When operating a vehicle, it is good to both know where you plan to go and be able to see what is before you. If you move at all lacking those things a collision is highly likely. I am afraid the analogy fits here as well.

Consider your relationship with your patients. Do you generalize or do you focus on the condition presented to you?

19. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No bookmark. This is to: www.priuschat.com. What page do you have bookmarked?

20. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On both my computers PriusChat remembers who I am, regardless of what page of the site I first access. It is a cookie dependent function. Do you use any cookie control program which may delete or block the cookies that this site uses to recognize you?