1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Site update suggestions for Danny

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by efusco, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Vincent

Vincent Don't Wait Until Tomorrow

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't Be Nasty (clown?)

At Evan's suggestion, I already withdrew "mandatory" in favor of "strongly encouraged". In any event, I'm glad you agree that location posting (even Bahstahn) is sometimes useful.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The point is that my interests are diverse, but I don't have enough interest/dedication to most of them to find and frequent a different web site for each of those interests. Right now my primary online interest is the Prius. But I don't want to neglect completely my other interests. A little discussion on broader subjects is thought provoking and mind opening.

Your analogies to driving and medicine, IMO, are pointless. Those are safety situations. But if you insist, I listen to rock music, carry on conversations with my children, and talk on the cell phone while I drive...satisfying those needs while maintaining my primary purpose foremost. I'm able to stop any of those other activities whenever my attention is needed for driving.

When I talk to patients I often try to engage them in light conversation of their interests, home town, whatever. It makes me a better physician and I'm percieved as more careing and interested.

I think that clarifies the point quite well.

3. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Okay. In your view. I accept that. However, the point as I understood it was "what is the purpose of PriusChat"?

I gather you see it as something rather general and floating which is loosly connected to fun and Prius. Where does that lead? Who knows. How does one moderate that? By ear. How does one seem fair in the process? You don't. Unless you get lucky and stay lucky.

At least profit making enterprises have one measure. If they are losing money they know something must change without delay. What is the measure of success for PriusChat? How do we know if we are tending toward or away from our purpose? How will we know when to steer back toward the path of our "safety". Or will we find ourselves unexpectedly in oblivion? How do we know if that process is not already underway?

Are you comfortable with just lettiing it happen how ever it will?

I would rather see it mature into a better and better place to learn about and get support for the Prius and allow the other stuff to hang on in an undisturbing way.

Allan de

edit: If you think about it, even a simple statement such as the last one above can be the basis for considerable policy in formating the site.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose Barnes & Nobel should shut down the coffee shop and stop selling music on the side. Google needs to just be a search engine and quit marketing all the side stuff.

I appreciate your point, but I think part of what makes PC attractive is the side stuff. Yes, some will be put off, just like some don't want the 'fluff' of B&N and will order online or from a dedicated old-fashion book store. That's why old fashion book stores still survive...they attract a different clientele.

PC is a site that offers a lot of Prius information to a diverse community with a little something extra to allow those diverse personalities to interact. I'm sorry you don't see it that way, but that's the way the site started, it was Danny's vision from the start and, I'm absolutely convinced, is what makes this site the absolute biggest Prius enthusiast site on the net.

Want less fluff, Prius-online offers that in a pretty good way IMO...I've become pretty bored with that site (as well as a few other issues that turned me off), but I still go there daily for the Prius content it offers. We have members here that see things just the opposite and prefer PriusOnline for the majority of their Prius "Fix" and come here just occasionally.

I think Danny's pretty happy with the growth of the site.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there is a check box that says remember me....or save my cookie, whatever you prefer. if this is checked and it still does not work, then create a shortcut to specific forum. i believe that even "new posts" will work.

if that doesnt work, its your security and cookies settings that you need to look at.

6. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I have consistently affirmed that Danny and the moderators have the right to whatever kind of website they want.
    Also, I have always agreed that their position that, if we don't like it, we can ignore it or leave, is a legitimate policy for them to have.

This kind of patronizing and insulting attitude on the part of the moderators is exactly why I don't post here anymore.
    I can and am ignoring the flame and fluff.
    I certainly don't think I have done anything to merit the hostility of this response.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think it's just a personality thing, Kiloran and not intended to be hostile. Evan and Danny kept me in check when I wanted to apply a little Moderator pressure a while back. After I'd calmed down, I realized that their approach was best.

I try to never speak for others - only bad things can come of it. But in my couple years being on the board with Danny and Evan, I have come to know their personalities. When I want to take a proactive role, they ask me to show restraint. And it works out just the way they predicted it would. Additionally, they take the time to explain it to me: if I start taking a more active role in moderating, I will have no choice but to maintain the active role whether I like it or not. On the other hand, when the members moderate themselves and keep each other in check, I can step back from time to time and actually enjoy myself here.

I don't think Evan meant hostility towards you (again, not speaking for him), I just think he's being honest. And I think it goes both ways. For example, I'm not a big fan of moving images in avatars and signatures. And yet, the entire time I've been writing this, there's been an epileptic woman in desperate need of some meds and a rabbit jumping at a carrot about three hundred times. Now, if I really wanted, I can choose to disable animated images. I don't because sometimes there's something I want to see. But I could. It's my choice.

It turns out that Moderating this board pays even less than moderating myself. The best moderative actions I - and the others - perform are the ones you never see. We prune, split, delete, warn, and fix more things than you are aware of. When someone deserves a warning or notice, we often do it via Private Message providing them the individual respect they deserve as board members and active participants. Rarely does anyone notice and almost never does anything thank us. But when I moderate myself, I get immediate satisfaction because I know what I've done and I feel good about it.

We moderate ourselves on a regular basis in the "real world". In fact, the other day I was in a Borders Booksellers and I noticed that they carry adult materials. Right there on the shelves were books dealing with topics from sexuality to fetish to relationship building through better orgasms. At that point, I had two choices: ignore the books and move on or get upset that those materials exist and are in plain sight. I chose self-moderation because it's easier and faster to alter the atitude of one person than to change the behavior of many.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kiloran,
    I am sorry if that came across as a bit harsh, I think I'm still a bit 'bitter' about some of the BS from back a few weeks ago when Fred's had to be shut down and most of that was NOT of your making. I apologize. I actually wish you would continue to participate and just ignore those forums/threads that offend you.

That said, I stand by my general point, choosing what to view and what to participate in is up to the individual and one must police him/herself and not blame 'the board' or Danny, or other members for one's own actions. It seems to be the latest fad in our society of defering responsibility to anyone else but ourselves.

9. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd like the tool to keep track of which posts I've read regardless of which computer I've logged in from. As it is now it keeps track of my history on each client, which is silly. *ahem* PriusOnline does this correctly...

As for thread views, eliminating threads by subject, eliminating authors, et cetera: those functions are provided by most newsreading tools for newsgroups. If you can live without animated avatars, smileys and other graphic stuff, check out alt.autos.toyota.prius . Every popular browser includes a newsgroup tool.

10. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I'm sorry for your understandable bitterness over those events.
    You are not alone.

I've only asked for the tools to make it easier to ignore unwelcome topics and/or members: "Ignore Member" (which exists), "Ignore Forum", "Ignore Threads Started by Member", and possibly a separate forum for contentious off-topic threads.
    None of these tools would, in any way, impare the ability of members to post anything they wished while, at the same time, allowing other members to remain blissfully unaware of it.

I don't think I'm blaming anyone by requesting these tools.
    You want us to police ourselves.
    Providing these kinds of tools would make it easier to do so.

11. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Do you have it bookmarked as http://www.priuschat.com or http://priuschat.com? I use the latter and I'm logged in as soon as the site comes up. I had asked about this and that's what I was told to do.

12. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:ph34r:

Add a "politics" section with the explicit warning that things can (and will) easily get ugly... :lol:

j/k

FWIW, I think the site is, more or less, perfect the way it is (with the exception, maybe, of the more "fine tuning" points others have brought up). FHOP is such a small sliver of PC as a whole, you sure as heck can't say non-Prius topics are anywhere near a majority, plus, it allows for a very wide range of discussions. Yes, flame wars and ugliness WILL surface from time to time. Hell, I admit, probably 80% of other boards would have banned my nice person at the first flare up, but it ALWAYS dies... Life goes on... You cannot please everyone.

Keep up the good work!

:D

13. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Where is this checkbox? I've been all through (I think) the options in My Controls and haven't found this. I'm going to try deleting my PriusChat member id to see if that evokes this checkbox.

14. BellBoy

BellBoy Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi. As a recent Prius owner and visitor, if I may I'd like to offer my 2 cents. :)

First with other sites that I frequent, I've found it a major timesaver to know in what threads I've posted AT A GLANCE. My suggestion would be to add another iconic column on the thread pages (and perhaps the section pages as well?) that would indicate if I have posted there or not. Maybe it's because I'm new and still getting used to the site, but it seems to be a hassle to look up my posts and navigate from there.

Also...this may have already been mentioned about the KB, but when I was thinking about buying, the FAQ here was pretty much useless in assisting with a 2006 model purchase. I don't know how the FAQ was posted (by a single person or many), but I find that with such a huge pool of brains here that the FAQs should be a collaboration. If they could be treated like posts to be edited and moderated, I would think that the FAQ section would be a formidable one-stop-shop collection of must have info for the soon to be, new, or longtime Prius owner.

From a coder perspective, I'd also like the ability to personalize my posts more with HTML code. Things like special characters, small tables, etc. would be a welcome addition...also the ability to hand code URLs (with HTML) would save time for me vs. the curernt method.

Edit: forgot something! Could it be possible to also have breadcrumbing at the bottom of a thread page as well? Some of the pages are really long scrolls.

Anyway...love the site and thanks for the forum to share ideas and suggestions. :)

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think you'll get an any disagreement about that. I think we'd all like to have those tools available. Danny's repeatedly said he's looking into it, but was not aware of any way to make that happen. My only arguement is that there are work arounds. It's easy to see who started any thread...it's easy to avoid the threads in Fred's. Every post that comes up under "view posts since last visit" has the OP's name and the forum that it's posted in. One need only skip over those threads completely.

I do, for your sake and the sake of others, hope that Danny finds a way to allow the options you mention. I, unfortunately, have to look at them all! :blink:

16. Guest

Guest Guest

That's no excuse for making it your life's mission to annoy as many people as possible. <_<

17. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gee, I wonder who THIS "guest" could be???

btw, the use of the <_< emoticon gives it away...

18. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

No checkbox. Deleting the cookie didn't help. This appears to be a minor forum flaw with the homepage. However, I have no problems if I link via a bookmark to a forum, so I'll go that route for now. (But I do like entering the site via the homepage. It gives a nice overview.)

19. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Actaully, Squid, you might be a little off on that guess. I just looked up all the posts made by the person who posted as "Guest" and didn't see the same smiley in any of their previous posts. Yes, I can do that and when it comes to policing ourselves, I think the respectable thing to do is post without the mask of the "Guest". I'm saying that to everyone: If you're going to stir the waters in a public forum in a manner that eludes member blocks, do so publicly without trying to be elusive.

After all that, I think this thread - like so many - has started running off-topic. I'm just throwing that in.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto, both points.