1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sitting in Car While Charging

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by tonypalermo, Oct 19, 2021.

1. tonypalermo

tonypalermo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Just a quick question, I read in the manual that I should not sit in the car while charging. Why is this? The main reason I ask is I charged today at Target while shopping and people were sitting in a Chevy and a Tesla. Are they just not supposed to sit in the cars while charging or does Toyota do something different? I don't care I was just wondering if someone could sit in the car while charging.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    feel free to sit in the car. if that is correct, it was probably written by some american lawyer for toyota.

even ore nonsensical than 'do not use an extension cord' or, 'do not tow with the vehicle'

privilege likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect is the lack of ventilation. Note that in the Tesla, you can run the fan and accessories even while charging so they have fresh air coming in.

In the Prime, the car will turn off after a minute or so if you go into ACC or IG-On mode.

4. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    You aren’t supposed to sit in and enclosed space while the car is running or charging but it says nothing about not sitting in the car while charging it in general. I just read the manual cover to cover yesterday .

bisco likes this.
  5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius Prime manual does caution not to sit in the car while the traction battery is being charged, but only if you have a pacemaker. If you do not have such a device, then there is no worry. Even if you have a pacemaker, I would think the warning is due to an abundance of caution, similar to the caution you see in a hospital not to use a cell phone around medical devices. That being said, while the PP is being charged, there is no way to keep the HVAC running the entire duration of the charging, unless you keep pushing the remote AC every 10 min. So, it makes it very uncomfortable to sit in the car if it is very hot or very cold.

upload_2021-10-20_8-24-10.png

#5 Salamander_King, Oct 20, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Marine Ray likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is very poorly written, and typical of toyota.

it should be headed with the cardiac device, and then state the warnings.

instead, it looks like the first bullet is for implants, and the rest are general warnings

Salamander_King likes this.