1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sitting in the Prime when charging car....not a good idea.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by MommysPrius, Sep 17, 2019.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My laptop charger does that. (It's an aftermarket charger, the OEM one didn't, or it was much less noticeable.)

My charger's plug to go into the wall isn't polarized (both blades are the same width, it doesn't have a wider one for neutral). I eventually figured out which way to plug it in so my laptop didn't tingle, and scratched a big ⏚ on that side of the plug so I remember.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Agreed. Getting those ungrounded plugs oriented correctly can be a life-saver.

Funny anecdote on that topic that could have been not funny at all:
    Years ago, in our 150 year old house in Ohio, my wife & I not got clobbered by our refrigerator. It was about three feet from the sink. She was doing dishes. I was heading out on an errand so I went toward her to give her a smooch before I left. She had her hands in the water. I grabbed the fridge handle and leaned toward her. When our lips touched, it felt like getting smacked in the mouth by a whiffle ball bat! We jumped back rubbing our mouths and I hollered, "WOW! I didn't know you could kiss like that." Our 9-year-old son ran to the kitchen and said, "What happened?" We told him and he said, "Cool! Do it again so I can see." :LOL:

I took the outlet apart and discovered that the PO of the house had the hot and neutral wires backward on the outlet, and since the fridge had an ungrounded plug, the frame was at line voltage. Because of the linoleum floor, we never noticed till that moment. I started quaking in my boots when I thought about what could have happened if someone had grabbed that handle with the other hand in the water in the sink. :eek:

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I attended a convention where they had grounded 2/3 of the chairs. I was sitting in one of the ungrounded chairs, and decided to move forward to see the stage better. When I sat in a grounded chair, there was a reduction in my tension level. I hadn't noticed the tension, but the relaxation really felt good. Believe what you want, but the effect was perceptable

4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The EVSE is supposed to be Grounded, not just connected to Neutral (which is not necessarily at ground potential), and I believe that the standard states that the car body is supposed to be grounded through that connection. So when the EVSE is connected, there should never be any potential between the car body and ground. Assuming, of course, that the Ground is installed correctly. Which cannot just be assumed.

jerrymildred likes this.