1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Six tanks with Techron solved high oil consumption at 140K miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chogan2, Sep 5, 2016.

1. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am a firm believer in Techron and exclusively use Texaco/Chevron gasoline. Mobil would be my second choice, Shell third, anything available in an emergency.

Here's the Techron "data" from Wikipedia:

Techron is a patented fuel additive developed by the Chevron Corporation, usually consisting of gasoline mixed with 400 ppm of polyetheramine.[1] With the introduction of Techron, Chevron gasolines became designated as meeting Top Tier standards for fuel cleanliness. Chevron gasolines with Techron were some of the first gasolines to be named as a “Top Tier Detergent Gasoline”.[2] “Top Tier Detergent Gasoline(s)” are agreed to lead to better performance in engines by BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Audi.[2]

Techron had been first patented and introduced as a concentrate available at Chevron stations in 1981.[3] Techron was then marketed in all Chevron gasolines in May 1995, and the Chevron Cars made their debut to promote this introduction in advertising.

Techron is available at Chevron, Texaco, and Caltex stations in all three grades of gasoline.[4] Techron is also available as a packaged concentrate, for use with gasoline that does not include Techron.
    Since polyetheramine has been patented by Chevron/Texaco, it is unique to the brand, not just a branded use of a common product. So the Mobil gasoline uses a different detergent package.

An article on Techron and Top Tier gasoline can be found here.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I give my custom to Chevron. Mainly to stick with one formulation. And to support the one brand AFAIK in our area still offering free air.

3. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    UPDATE: Thought I would update my observations of oil usage since my Techron Challenge. You can probably already anticipate that the news is good. It's been almost 4 months and a couple of oil changes. I measured, approximated what was consumed (I created a little paper gauge based on the full and empty stick marks representing 1.6 quarts and broke that up into graduated marks in ounces), and topped it back up to full. My current estimate is 1 quart in 7400 miles, so yes there appears to be some value in the Techron treatment. My current ODO is a little over 131K, and instead of burning more oil I am burning less. I had spark plugs replaced at my last service also, and mpg continues at a solid 50. VERY pleased with this car.

4. zooracer

zooracer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did anyone else go look at this guy "chris fix" on youtube? The first video that posted back on page one of this thread?
    He tested techron and came back with disappointing results. He also tested several other treatments like gumout and such...
    Seafoam was the one he found to actually make a significant difference on the carbon buildup on the pistons.

I guess I'm thinking I will try seafoam before techron or others based on this video...

thoughts?

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    He's looking at the deposits on top of pistons IIRC. Maybe there's more benefits with Techron, with stuff like the piston rings? (n)

6. zooracer

zooracer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think whatever effect it has on that hard carbon buildup on the piston tops...would related directly to the same carbon build up on the rings...
    that carbon is nasty stuff, and asking a liquid additive to dissolve it is a pretty big order...
    anyways, I think if techron didn't work on the piston tops then it could be assumed it wont work on the piston rings...since we are talking about the same substance (carbon)

I could be wrong of course...but that was my take away

however, from watching his videos I'm wondering if several doses of seafoam wouldn't do something significant...

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've tried the techron concentrate a couple of times, dumping in 16oz before filling the tank (had a 32oz container and used over the recommended amount), can't say I've noticed much difference in oil consumption as I don't track it closely enough (at times it consumes, other times not so much).

Let us know how the Seafoam works for you.

And if you find little result, you might want to search for @Raytheeagle 's post(s) about engine oil flushing and other additives. It sounded like he might be onto a potential protocol that could help reverse the excessive oil using madness.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    My take on carbon deposits is that it didn't build up overnight. So don't expect it to be cleaned overnight as well. Relatively speaking of course.

If you want to clean out the deposits or the fuel system, buy a big bottle of Lucas fuel additive or fuel system cleaner and run the entire bottle through the system over a month or two of driving.

9. zooracer

zooracer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've also got to say that I'm kind of skeptical about the Mobil 1 synthetic flushing video.
    It really does seem, especially from reading the comments, that he is just pushing Mobil 1 as some sort of special synthetic motor oil...that this would only work with Mobil 1, etc...
    Almost like he is getting paid by Mobil.
    Could be wrong, but it just seems to me like doing a bunch of oil changes back to back isn't going to dissolve the carbon build up.
    I will do some research and see, but I've done quite a bit in the past as my mothers 2006 camry and my girlfriends 2001 corolla both have the oil burning issue from the oil control rings on the pistons. And I've looked into this in the past, and even tried some stuff...including pouring marvel mystery oil down the spark plug holes and letting it sit for a couple of days.

Nothing seemed to work.

I may give the seafoam thing a try though

I'll post up results if and when I get them

10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here's a Gen3 thread about oil consumption that I talked about what I am trying;):

https://priuschat.com/threads/poll-excessive-oil-usage.174925/page-3#post-2477062

A couple of posts later is where I put what the BG Products rep has described. I have gone from using a quart every 4500 miles to 20 ounces in 8500 miles:).

Did some other experimenting this oil change, but EPR was done prior to the change.

Hope this helps(y).

SFO likes this.
  11. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Here's a Gen3 thread about oil consumption that I talked about what I am trying;):

https://priuschat.com/threads/poll-excessive-oil-usage.174925/page-3#post-2477062

A couple of posts later is where I put what the BG Products rep has described. I have gone from using a quart every 4500 miles to 20 ounces in 8500 miles:).

Did some other experimenting this oil change, but EPR was done prior to the change.

Hope this helps(y).

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Your new consumption is 1/3 of the former, quite a drop:

upload_2017-4-5_19-58-36.png

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Exactly (y).

And maybe even less consumption after the next round of experimenting is further along;).

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would like to try this epr on my 2010, seems to burn more oil when I drive it fast.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I drive fast (over 70 mph consistently), it burns more oil. This last oil change with 20 ounce consumption, most of this occurred from a trip down to SoCal on I-5 where we were averaging 75 mph. Once back up here in the Bay Area, I go 65-70 mph in a 65 zone. Consumption mostly non-existent in these conditions with the MOA added after the oil was changed and 44k added shortly after the oil change.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My car was doing really well until my trip to mammoth mountain, driving 80 mph and up the mountain. Ended up burning half a quart in 700 miles. My car hasn't been this bad in a long time.

17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That sucks:(.

How many miles on your 2010? Got 152 k miles on our 2010 Prius II. Began to notice consumption around 120 k miles.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 96k right now, it was burning oil when I bought it at 57k miles

19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What's normal? Done anything to lessen it? I run 5w-30 full synthetic which has also helped reduce the consumption some.

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It seems to be 1 qt every 3000+ miles around town, and improving with every oil change. This trip is a set back.

I can accept 1qt every 3000+. I might change out the pcv this weekend

Raytheeagle likes this.