1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Six tanks with Techron solved high oil consumption at 140K miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chogan2, Sep 5, 2016.

1. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If fuel injection cleaners lower oil consumption I wouldn't be surprised if some e85 does the same thing. I base my opinion on all the reports online of e85 cleaning the combustion chamber and giving pistons a mirror finish.

Pixel XL ?

SFO likes this.
  2. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I was going to stop, but I can't help myself. :unsure: I just did another oil top-up and calculation December 9 and I got 2942 miles to a quart.

mjoo, tvpierce and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the updates. I ordered 6 bottles of Techron on Amazon, and have been using one at each fill-up -- I think I'm on my 5th bottle.

2300 miles since last oil change and I've had to add about 2 quarts -- so some pretty substantial consumption. I'll post back with results.

mjoo likes this.
  4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Many, many moons ago, I ran into a guy from Chevron and he told me this about Techron. BMW was having problems with deposits on the valves and was blasting them with walnut shells to clean them. They went to Chevron who came up with Techron to clean the deposits. I also remember him telling me to only put the additive in the tank if doing a lot of stop and go driving. If you put it in and go on a highway trip, it just goes in and out of the engine without doing much of anything.

5. Lord Byron

Lord Byron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    0000CFB5-B97E-4FB3-8F1D-7CFA63F16548.jpeg This is the reason why we burn oil..

I was burning 1qt every 800-1000 miles for a long time. So... I added 4oz of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) to each spark plug hole when I changed them again at about 175,000mi. Let it soak over night. When I went to syphon the MMO out, there was none to be found. It had all gone through. After replacing spark plugs, pcv valve, put a spray can of sea foam through the throttle body, and cleaning everything there and I also have added about 1/2 qt of MMO to the gas tank for 5 gas fills.. oil consumption is fixed. I am now at about 2,800 miles and very modest oil burn!

Also.. my catalytic converter needs to be replaced, but I’m pretty sure it’s been bad for about 70,000mi now. Probably because of all the oil she had burnt for so long.

Bottom line.. Marvel Mystery Oil is AMAZING..

Aaron Vitolins and mjoo like this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You changed plugs, pcv, added seafoam. So not sure if mystery oil was the actual secret ingredient

7. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had the same results with MMO, but I just poured it directly into the crankcase. It fixed the oil burning issue, but it came back a few thousand miles later, I got too lazy to keep doing it. I just put a little in the gas every so often now as a fuel injection cleaner.

8. Lord Byron

Lord Byron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’ll take the time to pour it in the crank case every 6 months if I have to. I’d love to get another 100,000mi out of her if I can.

9. Lord Byron

Lord Byron Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Plugs, pcv didn’t do it. I’m sure spraying seafoam throught the throttle body helped, but not convinced it would clear the piston rings. MMO in the crank case & 16 oz in gas over several fills is definitely what did it.

VFerdman likes this.
  10. Knightrider

Knightrider Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So-
    I will try MMO - but I used Seafoam in the crankcase to help remove buildup and deposits and the results of the black oil and smell of it - were amazing enough.
    Thinking of doing it again-

VFerdman, Lord Byron and SFO like this.
  11. Knightrider

Knightrider Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My car has 362000 miles- original powertrain- 6 replaced modules and up to near 300000 miles it was maintained on the dot by the original owner.

VFerdman likes this.