1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

size of wrench for oil plug?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Baldbubba, May 23, 2014.

1. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    getting ready to change oil on my own for the first time, what size is the plug? i have an 08
    i plan to purchase a rachet boxed end wrench,, thanks in advance

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you would do better with a 1/2" socket wrench and a set of 6-point metric sockets. That will give you better leverage and you will have the option to use a cheater bar if the oil plug was over-torqued.

I don't recall if the size required is 14 mm or some other size, so hopefully someone else will respond with that data.

3. Baldbubba

Baldbubba Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i am not a real gearhead ,,, dont have many tools i was just wanting to purchace the one thing i need but i do understand what you are saying

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the thing about working on cars: if you have only one tool for the job, you will inevitably run into trouble that requires some other tool. If the Prius is the only car you have access to and it is raised up on jackstands needing for you to fix it before it can be driven, you will be in trouble.

So it is better to have a variety of tools so that you have some chance of recovering when you run into a problem.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct Patrick it is 14-mm.
    I always use John1701a's pdf instructions, not sure if John still has those posted on his personal web page, but its fantastic.

Box end wrench...not sure on that...I use a Craftsman regular socket ratchet wench and an extender.