1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Skewed electronics on dash lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Suzan OBrien, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Suzan OBrien

Suzan OBrien New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2 summers ago the A/C core went out and I took it in. They pulled the dash in order to fix the issue and ever since I have had progressively worse issues with false warning light activity. I did NOT take the car back. Initially it was the scan button on the radio that didn't work. I live in a small town and took it to the local dealer. $2700 later, I was hesitant to take it in. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago the tire pressure light came on... false, not one LB off on the pressure and 2 days ago ALL the lights, red triangle, abs, VCS, check engine were glaring. Swung by my mechanic and no codes were showing, the check engine light didn't register at all, nor was he able to cancel it. It's very frustrating. I am due to drive to TN from CA in the next couple of weeks. I know that all these lights are false.... BUT ARE they false.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's an excellent question. I wouldn't want to assume they're meaningless. When you say your mechanic has checked, is that mechanic at a Toyota dealer, or at a shop that has Toyota Techstream to check with?

-Chap

valde3 likes this.
  3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your mechanic is using questionable equipment.
    Go to a Toyota dealer or a shop that uses Techstream software; software designed for Toyota and approved by Toyota.

The car absolutely has codes stored due to the steady appearence of : Red Triangle (Master Warning Light) and ABS.

Low tire pressure light comes on when

1) The TPMS sees a difference of 25% or more from the last system memorization/reset; you have ruled this out, assuming you checked each tire, and report no PSI difference.
    2) A wheel mounted TPMS sensor has a dead battery and is no longer reporting the tire pressure for that wheel; this is likely your situation. A tire shop can check this and so can a shop using Techstream.
    Given the model year of 2006, the TPMS batteries are 12years old; you got a lot of life out of those batteries; average life expectancy is 7-10 years. The batteries are not replaceable. You have to replace the entire wheel mounted TPMS unit. Costco is a very good option to go when getting new tires.

Do NOT drive the car to Tennessee in its current condition, until repaired.

#3 exstudent, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As long as the car can be driven, it sure can be driven to the dealership

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unfortunately there not false.

TPMS light came on because the integrated battery in the denso sensor in the tire died. Right on schedule. The last about 10 years. The sensor is dead & no longer communicating with the car so its throws that orange alarm on the dash cause its not getting any response from it. No comm the system says it’s dead and launches its alarm on your dash. It cannot be repaired must be replaced. Next tire change install 4 new ones. Amazon.com Denso 550-0103. $35. each.

My TPMS light has been on for quite some time. Waiting for next new tires.

If the car has shown the lights your saying its throwing your mechanics code reader is not pulling any hybrid codes. Not many auto parts stores have one that works on a Prius either apparently.

Red triangle is the Master Caution alarm something fatal has occurred and I would not drive it far.

Most likely the Inverter coolant pump died. Open the cap on the inverter coolant reservoir the white tank next to the silver inverter box. Slim white reservoir. Look inside at the red fluid with a flashlight while the car is in READY. READY means the car is on the engine may or may not be on but the car is ready to
    go. Should see very good fluid movement kinda like its boiling. If the fluid is not moving at all the pump died. Pray its that.

Or the Hybrid battery has died. $$$$.

Or the ABS module has died but you would know that as the brakes would feel bad.

#5 edthefox5, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
    jerrymildred likes this.