1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Skid Control ECU + ABS Problem Advice?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by lindangn, Aug 27, 2018.

1. lindangn

lindangn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey everyone,

I am new to the community and I am looking for advice in troubleshooting problems that have recently come up with my newly purchased used 2009 Toyota Prius.

A little history on the car: I have had to the car for about three months and overall it has passed general inspection and has driven fairly well. The car has 114,165 miles on the odometer, a clean CarFax, and has been maintained frequently over the years.

Last week, while driving on the highway, as I was accelerating past 70 mph, the red warning triangle showed up on the dashboard and I immediately pulled over onto the emergency lane. It was the only light that came on and it was on for less than 5 seconds and then the light went off when I decelerated. The accelerator was less responsive when the light popped up. After some time stopping, I then drove home under 70 mph and the ride was okay; no lights came on and the car was accelerating appropriately.

I took it into the auto shop the next day and 4 DTC codes came up:
    C0200 Right front wheel speed sensor signal fault
    C0205 Left front wheel speed sensor signal fault
    C1241Too low or too high battery voltage
    C1300 Fault in CCU

Found the front anti-lock brake sensors having a delayed/erratic operation on acceleration.
    Also found the skid control module in need of replacement.
    A battery test was done with the results saying the the battery was in good condition.

I was quoted around $3K worth of repair costs + labor, in the case of my car being in the worst case scenario. I am unsure of what to do right now because my car continues to drive fine and I am a little skeptical about both ABS sensors failing at the same time, especially when I got the car inspected so recently. I would like to fix the car for as little money as possible and am considering getting a used replacement skid control module and getting that installed. I am also debating bringing my car to another auto shop that specializes in hybrid repairs because my current auto body shop has told me that they are just basing repairs of off the cascade of codes that came back.

Any advice on my current situation? And if I were to buy a replacement skid control module, where would be the best place to purchase one?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. lindangn

lindangn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you are on the right track by having a used skid control ECU installed. A failed ECU might result in all of the logged DTC.

Sources of used Prius parts:
    autobeyours.com
    or eBay Motors.