1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Skid sensor alarm, can't accelerate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by crockettor, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with above. You really need a scanner capable of displaying wheel speeds while you drive. It would narrow the problem quite significantly. Perhaps someone here knows if the Scangauge does that.

2. crockettor

crockettor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! I realize I will probably end up taking it to the dealership, but this forum has been immensely insightful in helping me rule out the easily fixable problems.

I don't know if my scanner shows wheel speed, I haven't tried doing a live test while driving. I will check on that.

3. crockettor

crockettor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking around the web... could this be a steering angle sensor problem? This problem started after an alignment, so maybe that's what is triggering this alarm. My steering wheel is off center by 5 degrees or so.

Any idea how to reset the steering angle sensor on the prius?

I saw this video, but not sure if those jumpers/procedure are correct for the G2 prius.

4. crockettor

crockettor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I had the alignment done, the steering angle sensor definitely was not reset, and the mechanic said he could not get the wheel straight unless we replaced the tie rods on the other side as well (they were rusted tight and he didn't want to bust them).

Here's steps for a Sienna, looks essentially like repeated jumping of pins 4 and 13. But I don't want to blow a fuse or mess anything up by experimenting. Is this process universal for toyotas?
    VSC & Trac Off Lights After Alignment - Zero Point Calibration Procedure

5. crockettor

crockettor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, not receiving any response I tried the above methods to reset the steering angle sensor, and they did not work.

I came across this article:

Alignment & Suspension Specs: 2001-2009 Toyota Prius: Brake and Front End

It mentions something about disconnecting the negative battery terminal to reset the sensor, so I tried that. I parked the car on flat, level road, made sure my wheels were lined up straight, unhooked the black cable from the trunk battery for a few minutes, hooked it back up and what do you know, it worked! It's been a few days, I've driven about 30 miles and the skid alert has not come back.

So I'm hypothesizing that it was caused by a lack of zero-point calibration after alignment, and that disconnecting the battery reset the sensors.

nh7o likes this.