1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Skipping battery/glide, straight to ICE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by nooaah, May 27, 2009.

1. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This only started happening over my last few tanks. Note that my mileage is still in the mid-50's so it's not a huge detriment, I'm just curious.

There are times when I'm definitely into s4 when, even with a green battery, the ICE will keep running. It's not running for the whole trip, of course. For instance, from a stop sign, I won't accelerate from battery. It will go straight from a blank MFD to ICE. This is 25 minutes and 10+ miles into a trip.

Or I'll be riding along at 25-30mph, I'll release the gas and go into a glide, then feather the pedal and it doesn't even transition. Just straight to ICE with pretty crummy mileage on the MFD. No glide whatsoever.

To remedy this, I'll have to either coast for over 5+ seconds or come to a complete stop for more than 10 seconds. Maybe I just didn't notice this before but I really can't reproduce it. I also can't reproduce the times when I can briskly accelerate on battery only up to 41mph. By briskly, I mean in about 10 seconds on a slight incline. There was even a time when I did battery only at 60mph for over a mile on the highway. I know the MFD isn't showing the engine for whatever reason, but the mileage was still awesome.

I'm rambling, but if someone can explain the inconsistencies regarding the use of battery-only/ICE or even hitting a glide at under 35mph I'd love to attempt to understand. Basically, I'm getting the same behavior as a full or nearly-full battery as what one would expect from a nearly discharged battery. Thanks in advance. :)

2. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV