1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Skirts over back wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Thagg, Sep 18, 2004.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Those look really nice. I might buy some but I have a few questions. Would using those wheel covers damage the breaks at all? Any over heating issues? Break dust collecting inside causing problems? Any other issues with anything other than the breaks? Just worried that having a closed cap might do some kind of damage.

2. DocBob

DocBob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No adverse issues so far... recall that the back of the wheel is not enclosed. I do take them off avery once in a while to check tire pressure. As far as mpg, there was no decrease, and a slight increase (though I could not say that it is not from environmental factors).

Regards,
    Robert

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Have you seen any mpg improvements using these hubcaps? If they could bost the mpg then I might be interested (say 1-2 mpg)

4. DocBob

DocBob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I do not think that I can really make any concrete statement on milage change given the lack of a controlled experiment... but here is the data (per tank of gas). Even if the mpg were not changed much, the "cool factor" made up for it for me.

Smiles,
    robert

Attached Files:

• MPG.jpg
      MPG.jpg
      File size:
      33.6 KB
      Views:
  5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I got out the old photoshop and played around a bit. Its not my best shop but it gives a good view on things. I'm going to get those racing caps and had some ideas I would like to share with you and would like some opinions. I created 3 pictures with the ideas I thought would look good.

1. Stock caps.

2. Caps painted solid Barcelona Red.

3. Tape a Toyota logo to the caps, paint Barcelona Red, Peel tape away to reveal brushed steel logo or find a nice shiny logo and stick it on.

I made an animated GIF picture with each picture having a 5sec delay. What do you think? Which one do you think looks good?

[​IMG]

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    #1 for sure!

Where does one purchase these beautiful things? And do they just snap onto the factory wheels somehow?

7. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Yeah, I like the silver best, too. The red is too much red, even with the Toy logo. :D

You can get them here in either screw-on or pop-on.

Personally, I think they look really cool. B)

8. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    #1 looks best.

But maybe #1 with a toyota emblem will look even better?

9. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Hey, look at this! :eek: :D
    The 15" screw-ons are only $60 for a whole set!!! B) I'm seriously thinking now...
    Hmmm, can I get this one past my wife? I bet she notices them when I put them on the car... :rolleyes: Maybe I can sneak them on next month... Oh, wait, tomorrow is next month! :D :lol: :p

10. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just ordered mine :D I think your right jdjeep98 about the all red. Its just too much red. I do like the red with the logo. I'll just have to wait and see how well I like it plain before I make my decision.

11. OverTork

OverTork Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Did you order the snap on or screw in version? I would like to know for sure if the snap on hub caps fit the OEM wheels before I order them. I really don't want to drill and tap my wheels.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All red on a Barcelona might be to much red...but I have a black car. I'm thinking all black on a black car might really pop up the stealth factor. And I really don't like all that shiney silver on a car that has almost no chrome at all.

13. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ordered the screw on. Dont know if I want to drill my wheels yet. Might decide to go with the snap on. I just bought the scew on because they were cheap. When I decide to put them on I will take some pictures.

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I spoke with the guys at Mike's and they say the snap-on ones will only work with steel wheels, not the factory alloys. Screw-on is the way to go. It would seem you can do it all without dismounting the tire. Just jack the wheel off the ground, let out the air, drill away, tap the hole, fill with LockTite and hubcap screw, and repeat. In flate tire, repeat.

My only hesitation here is how bad the alloy wheels might become if left with brake dust all over them for so long. Brake dust eventually removes the clear-coat and starts to pit the Al. Taking the caps off to the clean the wheels would be a PITA, I'd think. Comments?

15. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Cool! B) I can't wait to see them.

16. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well i'm glad I got the screw on then :D I'm still not ready to drill my wheels yet. Only had my car a month. I did put a big scratch on my lower driver side bumper. :angry: After I get that fixed I will try to push myself to drill and install the caps. I also got some mudflaps on the way. I think they require drilling so I may do all that drilling all at the same time.

Hey DocBob did you drill your rims yourself or did you have a shop do that? If you did it yourself how easy was it and what steps did you take to get the finished product?

17. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

My concern about the screw on type is what happens when you remove them to check your tire pressure??? :eek: Do they leak? Where exactly does the hole go?

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did a little more photoshopping on the previous picture.

Not bad. I would buy one.

19. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW! Looks good! Whish the prius would have a skirt. If someone would make one that looks that good or better I would buy one.

20. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yup! At a reasonable price, I'm standing in line right there with you.