1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Skirts over back wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Thagg, Sep 18, 2004.

1. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I just saw an Insight with the two color black and car color skirts. Looked great!

2. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Throw in the racing disk wheel covers and I'll take one, too! B)

3. OverTork

OverTork Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a question for someone who has the screw in racing disk wheel covers. Does it look like it would be difficult to attach them to the factory snap on rings?
    I really don't want to have to carry tools to check and adjust tire pressure, I do it too often.

4. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    skirts.... *vomits*

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Prius.... *vomits*

I think the skirts can save it!

6. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    with the racing Disk.......don't u need different Wheels? or will the somehow fit over the stock rims?

7. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol the Prius isnt that bad. I think the rear end needs fixing, but I dont think it's worse than say... a PT cruiser or SSR

8. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I saw an Insight at an alternative fuel fair that had its side view mirrors removed and replaced with a TV screen. The driver is a pilot as am I, and I asked him why he would remove a fail safe, non-electrical, non mechanical (mostly) device and replace it with something which can fail if a connection gets loose or the electrical system acts up. The Insight is already a near death trap because of its tiny size and limited visibility; why reduce the vision even further? He claimed to get 80 plus mpg because of this mod and 13 coats of wax which no one walking by the car was allowed to touch.

Frankly, I think the mods you propose would have little effect. The cone out the rear end would have to be longer than pratical to have any effect and you'd risk impaling a pedestrian who might happen to be standing behind you not hearing your electric motor.......

Skirts? looks really hokey to me.

9. tcrowson

tcrowson New Member

I tested the car's MPG and then added the racing hubcaps and got .75 to 1.25 MPG with the new hubcaps. It seems that it reduces the airflow that goes "thru" the wheel thus improving the mileage slightly. Mike's hubcap wanted me to "drill" the rims to attach them but I drilled and tapped the "toyring", cut the bolds to .204" and screwed the caps to the toyring. I have about 400 miles on the car and they have not moved. Easy and cheep upgrade and it looks great.
    04 morph to 06 picture enclosed

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    13 coats of wax? What a waste of time, energy and product.

There comes a point of diminishing returns. You can't layer was that much. It eventually emulsifies what's already on the car so you're only wiping it off again.

Layering and diminishing returns

"The law of diminishing returns as it relates to layering,

A surface, such as an automotive paint, can only hold so much product before all you're doing is removing all subsequent coatings applied to the surface.

That is to say, after the first, second and in some cases a third application/coating, any more product applied to the surface is merely removed when you wipe the excess off after waiting for the product to cure.

At this point you've reached a plateau (or limit), as to how much wax (natural or synthetic) a surface can hold. Once you reach this plateau, all further applications of wax simply become excess that will be removed (and thus wasted), during wipe-off because it has nowhere to attach and layer.

Of course, this all depends upon your definition of the word "Layer". If your definition of the word layer follows that of Webster's Dictionary:

2 a: One thickness, course, or fold, laid or lying over or under another.

Then yes, you can layer to a certain point. For example, you can add multiple layers of layerable waxes until the limit to how much a given surface of an automotive paint can hold before each additional application is simply removed, or replaces a previously applied layer."

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Juuuust trying to make a point.

12. Tori

Tori Junior Member

Thanks for looking into that. I am disappointed, but I'll just look at it as saving $85+, since I really don't think I want to go the screw-on route.

13. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I finally put my racing hub caps on today. I decided not to drill holes on the wheel and go with a more simple approch. I bought an extra set of trim ring from a member here and used the rings as a mount for the caps. This makes it much eaiser to remove them to check pressure and to change the tires. I used pop rivets to atach the caps to the ring. It makes a good connection but with only 3 points of atachment per wheel I feel I may need to add 3 more to each for a more secure connection. I dont think they will be flying off anytime soon but its better safe than sorry. I think it looks a lot better with these on. Makes it look more arrowdynamic and fast :) Now all she needs are some wheel skirts over the back. :) I took some pictures for you to enjoy and yes I need to wash and zaino my car. Its just a little too cold to do that right now. :(

[attachmentid=2589] [attachmentid=2590]

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to draw the line at a bra - I mean mask. No panties or skirts for me. I could be talked into a riding crop - it would kinda go with the theme - if the uh...passenger were willing. :p