1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS and locking self in car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ryanmorley, May 17, 2008.

1. ryanmorley

ryanmorley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am planning a 1000+ mile road trip for the end of this week and won't be doing the full 16 hours straight. I plan to park at a rest stop and nap for a few hours part way through.

I have the smart key system and expected that if I was sleeping in the car with my smart key, anyone could come open the door... because the key was well in range.

I tested it this afternoon... stayed in the car with the key and pressed the electric lock button by the window controls. A friend tried to open the door with me inside and could not.

I was pleasantly surprised by the results of that little experiment.

2. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Yes, the fob sensors are quite directional. If you're standing next to the driver's door, someone else won't be able to open the hatch or passenger door.

3. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    SKS sensors have a range of 3ft. There are 3 exterior sensors (2 in front doors, 1 in the hatch). There are also 2-3 interior sensors. Through comparison of sensor detection, SKS control unit can "guess" where the SKS key is, and take proper action.

4. quang

quang New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I used Prius 2005 my sks work ok. but now it have problem with the black button in door and it cannot lock the door by hand and it didnt automatic unlock the doors when i closed the car. The power have to put the inigtion to the slot.
    Some thing wrong with the code i dont know. How can I fix this?

5. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The most likely is that you bumped the SKS button under the steering column. This button is used to turn the SKS functionality on or off. If you bumped it you may have turned off the SKS functionality. Try pressing it again to turn it back on.

If that doesn't fix your problem, then it is possible that the battery in the fob has died. Try replacing that battery, and then make sure that you have the SKS button under the steering wheel turned on (you may have just turned it off with my previous instructions if the problem was the fob battery).

If neither of these fix the problem, then I'd reccomend taking the car to the dealer to have it checked out. Others here at PriusChat may have additional advice.