1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS: Cannot use outside the car when Power On

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ramdulari, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for enlightening me. I did not know they actually make a car like that. I learn something everyday. Thanks.

2. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    But the Prius SKS system is that accurate. It can tell if the fob is inside or outside. Of course there is an area of uncertainty since it is using radio frequency to determine this. To open the hatch or either door the fob must be outside and within a well defined area. you can't unlock the hatch with the fob in the front passenger area. I'm sure the system could have been designed to always allow SKS unlocking with the fob in the proper areas outside the car. Again I see no scenario where that presents any problem.

Toyota elected not to design it that way, and referring to the OP's original question, yes it is annoying when I have the doors locked, exit my drivers door and go to the hatch to get my camera and even though I have my fob in my pocket the hatch won't open. I have to remember to hit the unlock button when I exit or I end up walking back and opening the drivers door to press the unlock all button. This somewhat defeats the ease of use of the SKS system for those of us who are SKS addicts!

3. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for commiserating with me on this matter, it's exactly my grievance. I get annoyed with the exact same kind of situations that you described. However being an engineer and working in communications engineering where we work on designing systems where frequently estimating parameters based on received signal measurements are done, I totally have to agree with Rhino that I wouldn't 100% trust the system to accurately distinguish in/outside all the time. And with justifiable safety scenarios such as the ones he offered, I don't think that the sound decision would be to live with the small probability of error, unless it can be reasoned that the technology is more robust than human operation (which obviously is not applicable here).

Thanks to Rhino, now I can live more contentedly with the "unable to unlock" aspect of this grievances discussion thread that I opened :clap2:

1 person likes this.
  4. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Actually, the car could at least be made smart enough to allow the SKS functions, engine running, when the car is stationary and in Park.

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

lol :D

6. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    doesn't your car unlock when you put it in Park?

7. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, it's a preference thing. I didn't want it configured that way. Anyway, that is not a substitute for omitting full fob functionality.

8. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm in the same 'boat' but with the fob in my pocket back by the locked hatch I would likely just hit unlock twice then anything else. The sales person wants me to lock and unlock using the driver door handle. It seems a whole lot easier to just use the fob to me. Shame I didn't get Opt IV.

The other thing screwed up on is the electronic mirror that I was totally use to--I still miss it every day because I reach for the mirror to open my garage door--nothing to push. I keep the remote in the sunglasses compartment. Oh, there are other minor things I don't like. I like more then dislike though. :)

9. direstraits71

direstraits71 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mine is Gen 2 and doesn't have that feature. :(

10. Susan4ET

Susan4ET Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Regarding 'Park' unlocking all doors. I have this feature but I'm having it turned off tomorrow. I don't want all my doors opening up automatically just because I put the car into 'Park'. I even think this could be a personal security issue--as unlikely as that might be. Controlling all the doors with the remote is no big deal.

11. ramdulari

ramdulari Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My reason exactly for not customizing this way!

12. andrewrohn

andrewrohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel stupid for even mentioning this, since I absolutely LOVE my car, and have NO complaints other than previously mentioned about not being able to lock the car when in READY mode. Seems counterproductive for us in colder climates. We're supposed to let the car warm up, but are we expected to sit in the car while it warms up? I understand the theory of not locking so you don't forget the car is on, but there IS a loud sqealing LONG beep if you walk away with the fob. That should be enough to let you know it's on. As for someone breaking your window and driving off with your car, why break the window when they can just drive off with it, since it doesn't lock!? Granted, I've never seen a Prius outside of any "questionable" neighborhoods, but if I choose to leave my car running for whatever reason I choose in a public place, I SHOULD be able to lock it so no one drives off with it! Seems counterproductive that we're instructed to warm the car, but can't lock it while it is warming up. Again, I LOVE my car, and am not complaining. I ran across this thread to see if there was a way to lock the car while running. Guess not. And no, in my '09 when I try to lock it with the physical metal key, it automatically unlocks again. My only idea with this would be to push the button under the steering wheel so the fob has to be inserted in the dash slot when leaving the car, while running, so only someone with Prius experience would be able to figure it out. But I tested it, and it doesn't work. Must only take effect once the car is shut off and turned back on. This damn car is TOO smart!

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In some (many?) areas, it's illegal to leave a car unattended while idling/turned on.

As for the long beep, isn't that only sounded if you try pressing the black lock buttons when the SKS is inside the car? When you close the door w/the power on and SKS on you (not inside the car), you'll get a bunch of beeps.

Whoops.. I also noticed your profile says you have a 2009 (Gen 2), when you posted in a Gen 3 thread... Gen 3 behavior might vary somewhat.

14. andrewrohn

andrewrohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, you're right I did, sorry. Ran across this thread from a search, didn't pay any attention. And I was incorrect in my statement, anyways. Still kind of new to Prius behavior- I was wrong about the doors automatically unlocking if I lock from the outside with the metal key. I was going off memory when I typed that, but then went outside and tested everyone's suggestions. The car automatically unlocks itself immediately if pressing the lock button on the inside of the car if the door is open. GREAT safety feature, I couldn't tell you how many times I've locked my keys in my vehicle (NOT the Prius) this way (accidentally hitting lock button on the way out, or just using the door button instead of the key fob). The handy dandy metal key locks all the doors, when used to lock the car while it is running. So, no complaints from me!

Thanks to Priuschat, my question has been answered! Very helpful site!