1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS FOB and Cell Phone Together?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jmccord, Jul 1, 2006.

1. jmccord

jmccord New Member

I recall the Prius manual saying not to keep the SKS FOB in the same pocket with your cell phone.
    What's up with this?
    Is this due to interference that could corrupt memory settings or physically damage one or the other?
    Has anyone experienced problems from doing this, or am I carrying them around in different pockets needlessly?
    Perhaps some techie out there can speak to what is happening electromagnetically or whatever? :blink:

Oh, by the way, did I say I love this car? :D

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmccord @ Jun 30 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]279517[/snapback]</div>
    I have seen arguments on both sides. I keep mine fairly close (SKS in pocket, phone on belt clip on same side).

I guess common sense says not to keep them physically touching each other...although I don't quite understand the consequences. However, it does make you wonder why it is then OK to have either one so close to certain body parts!

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    basically, there's interference between the FOB and the phone. no permanent damage, but the car won't "see" the FOB if the cell phone is right nearby. move the phone elsewhere and voila! the FOB is recognized. :)

4. jmccord

jmccord New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 30 2006, 11:10 PM) [snapback]279523[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks again Galaxee.
    So if I understand correctly, so long as the car is still recognizing the FOB...no problem!
    Looks like they'll be going back in the same pocket together. B)

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    my briefcase-type thing has a small cell phone pocket in it, and my FOB ends up being about 6 inches away- not a problem there... but in my little purse where they're really in close contact, it doesn't work 100% of the time.

some people have better luck than i do though :lol:

6. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    damn i do it quite alot...

i guess u shouldnt do it because the frequency or wateva that might have some interferance with them?

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The transmissions from your cell phone can cause the SKS fob to reply, which uses the battery in the SKS fob, shortening the battery life. It is also possible to have the fob not respond when nearing the car and trying to open a door. Cell phones transmit periodically when on and in a cell, even when not being actively used (they are reporting their existence to the cell system).

Tom