1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS FOB Compatability

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tvpierce, Mar 18, 2018.

1. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I need a second FOB for my '13 V wagon. I'll be programming it using Techstream. I've done a fair amount of research and feel confident in my ability to do it.

My current FOB is FCC ID # HYQ14ACX. On eBay, I see one with the same FCC ID, but it's for a Venza, and has a rear hatch button. Will this FOB work for my purposes? (I don't care that it will have an extra button that does nothing)

Thanks in advance.

2. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 14ACX will probably work, but you'll need either a new fob, one that has been "virginized", or access to a seed lookup. Once a 14ACX fob has been paired with a car, it can only be used on that car unless it is reset to unprogramed status.

3. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Rob.

Thanks for your response. Yes, I'm aware I need an "unlocked/virginized" FOB. You say it "will probably work" -- are there other variables I need to take into account?

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've used a Prius fob on a Lexus CT200h and the electronic part works fine. The mechanical key is different. No idea what the Venza mechanical key looks like. Unlikely, but the button assignments could be different.

5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the info. When I searched on eBay, the Prius FOBs are all $99 -- this Venza FOB is $70. Not a huge difference, but for me, this is going to be a spare FOB that will just sit on a hook waiting for the unlikely event that it will be needed. I figured if I could save $30 I'd do it. Seems like it may not be a good gamble.

I'll just buy the Prius FOB and be done with it .

Again, thanks.