1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS Fob stopped being recognized

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by russlan44, Apr 3, 2017.

1. russlan44

russlan44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    -sks fob stopped working
    -fob red light in corner works
    -buttons aren't stuck
    -started the car with fob in pocket and doors unlocked
    -ran inside the house to get my coffee mug car didn't beep (out of range) usually beeps
    -drove to work shut off car now car doesn't recognize fob unless in dash
    -wont lock or unlock from remote only metal key
    -messed with button under steering wheel (its pushed out)

Im new to 04 prius and had mine for a month almost, so far so good. I have only one sks fob and red light on remote lights up when I press any of the 3 buttons, buttons don't stick, checked the button under neat steering wheel and its pushed out. Cant lock the car from any of the buttons outside nor unlock by touching handle or pressing buttons on remote. Unlocks only with metal key and can only start it with Fob being insert into dash, this all just happened this morning. worked fine before.
    I usually unlock the car by touching the handle, today I unlocked the car as usual, started the car with key fob in my pocket, forgot my coffee mug in house, ran out the car to get it, didn't hear the usual beep from car that key isn't in range, drove to work, on way out the car door shocked me, tried locking the car with pressing driver side button, didn't work, tried remote didn't work, jumper back into car it wouldn't start unless I put fob into dash, shut off the car pulled the fob out from dash tried starting the car with fob out yellow dash key came on as it wasn't present, tried messing with button under neat steering wheel, it was pushed out and I clicked it couple times, still would only start with fob inside dash. Got out the car, closing door it shocked me again and tried locking from black square button on door handle or remote doesn't work, only locks and unlocks with metal key. Please help

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you should change fob battery

Kevin_Denver likes this.
  3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    ... and check the condition of the 12V as well. Either or both could be the cause of your problem.

Kevin_Denver likes this.
  4. russlan44

russlan44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks guys for quick response, just came back from a walk with co-workers and venting to them as I was coming close to the building I pulled clicked the remote unlock button from about 25-30 feet and car unlocked, hit the lock button and it locked, I came close to it, grabbed front pass door handle and it unlocked and I opened the door and closed the car with hitting outside black square on door handle.

5. russlan44

russlan44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be looking into changing the key fob battery just to know its new when my key fob shell arrives from ebay sense mine is beat up and worn out, does the fob has to be reprogramed after battery install?

6. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mine did the same (worked only intermittently) when my fob battery was dying. Replacing it fixed it.

7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You don’t need to reprogram anything when changing the key battery.

When swapping the key internals to a new shell remember to swap the chip too! Other vice key doesn’t work in the slot and can’t be used to program new key.

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, but as valde3 advised make sure you move the RFID chip over to the new shell, it looks like a small rectangular piece of plastic (on the inside of one half of the old shell), and may have markings on it common to communications equipment.

9. russlan44

russlan44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So after 3 days of messing with small key today i got a new battery for the remote, doors unlocked right away and locked from remote, but leaving work SKS didnt work again, the little red light flashes on remote but won't unlock or lock nor SKS work, had to do use the small metal key and put the fob into ignition for it to start and drive.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how is the 12v health? did you move the chip into the new case?

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if it's the external receiver. Are you able to use SKS to unlock the hatch or the front passenger door?

12. russlan44

russlan44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    12v battery was low that it wouldn't start the car, this was a month ago, took it out and charged it up and car started up right away been driving for a month with no issues with car battery. And haven't received my new shell, didn't look where i ordered from while checking out on ebay and its coming from china.

Doors or hatch doesn't externally tried the handles and hatch no go

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    test the 12v after the cars been off for a few hours. just because it starts, doesn't mean it's good. my 2004 12v was slowly dying, the fob was doing funny things, but the car would start fine.

14. russlan44

russlan44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    will check the battery tonight, if low voltage will throw it on charger overnight.

15. russlan44

russlan44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    battery is at 14.5v, car been standing without use for 4 hours

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How are you measuring the voltage?

If you are using a multi or volt meter, when was the last time it was calibrated. Or are you just using a cheap one?

If you are using the MFD, then the car needs to be in ACC mode, not READY.

14.5 V is a whacky reading if the car is really OFF, so something is amiss, if that's the case.

valde3 likes this.
  17. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    14.5v? The DC to DC inverter must be online, a standby voltage of the 12v battery should be 12.Xv or lower.

18. russlan44

russlan44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    14.5v was using cheap electric harbor freight volt meter.
    Got a used sks key fob from ebay, registered it, car starts with it, tried registering sks mode, when got to the point when you hold the lock and unlock on old remote for some times and doors would lock and unlock, nothing happened then i grabbed new remote and held lock and unlock at same time, doors locked and unlocked, pressed the lock on new remote and it worked to exit registration mode i just openned the door. Tried the new remote sks mode, doesnt work, tried hitting lock and unlock doors didnt do anything. Will try to re-register the remote again. Would unhooking the battery from car for sometime reset anything?

19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't believe you can get the SKS working using a used remote. You have to use a brand new SKS (silver logo) in order to program it with the chicken dance.

20. russlan44

russlan44 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did the chicken dance with used SKS remote, while adding sks option from priuschat write up, it will unlock and lock the doors but when i open the door or insert the fob to exit out from registering remote doesn't unlock nor lock doors anymore.
    -both remotes still dont unlock nor lock the vehicle only start (my original and one i got off ebay)
    -checked the voltage on battery unhooked from the car it was at 13.0v with HF volt meter.