1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. glarnerman

glarnerman Junior Member

At the end of May we took delivery of a beautiful new 2006 Driftwood Pearl Prius. It's been a very pleasant car so far, but I've been having quite a time with the smart key system. The SKS has not worked properly from the beginning. The salesman at the dealership even commented when we took delivery - "this isn't the way this should work." The problem is intermittent operation. Sometimes the SKS works and sometimes it doesn't. When it does work, the range seems very limited. I often have to hold the fob right up to the door handle or wave it in front of the dash to get the car to recognize it's there. The salesman asked us to bring the vehicle back the following Saturday so one of their Prius techs could have a look. We showed up as requested. The tech played with it for a while and agreed it was working intermittently. It didn't matter which fob he tried, both worked about the same. He took the battery out of one of the fobs and replaced it with a new one. The SKS operation did not improve. The old battery tested fine, by the way. He said he would have to call Toyota to report the issue and get instructions from them. We were called a few days later and told Toyota wanted to replace the batteries in both fobs with their batteries, so the dealership ordered 2 batteries from Toyota and we returned the following Saturday. The new batteries were installed in the fobs. The SKS did not improve. Once again we were told they would call Toyota to get more instructions. When the dealership called back, they suggested we leave the Prius with them so they could work on the car and call Toyota as needed to try to get to the bottom of the problem. We dropped the car off on 5/30/06. After a few days the service manager called to say Toyota wants to replace the "module" and it would take a day or two to get the part as there is only one in the US. That seemed a bit strange, but that was the deal. The part came and was installed. The SKS operation did not improve. Now the dealer has put in a call to have a Toyota engineer come to their dealership to solve the problem. I just spoke with with the dealership service manager a few minutes ago and was told the engineer should be there tomorrow (6/8/06). I have enjoyed the Prius very much in the 3 weeks or so I was able to drive it. I don't want to make assumptions about the rest of the car because of the flaky SKS, but I am starting to worry. Am I alone in having this problem? Has anyone else in Priusland had this problem? What was the solution? I've read a few posts concerning SKS trouble, but most seem to be resolved by not keeping a cell phone in the same place as the fob, etc. I can't find mention of my particular issue. Any suggestions?

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Not knowing exactly how the SKS is setup in the car, whenever we had similar problems when installing alarm systems it was usually the placement of the antenna on the module. I don't know if the SKS uses the external antenna on the vehicle or has an internal antenna within the module...or another external antenna somewhere within the vehicle.

Also, occasionally it was caused to low vehicle battery voltage (sometimes your vehicle battery will be low enough to cause certain electronics to not function well, even though it still wil start the vehicle and otherwise act fairly normal).

3. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have had my 2006 Dirftwood Pearl for about a month and a half now and have not had any problems with it at all (the sks that is).

I don't think this is common.

Phil

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    From what I have gleaned from reading this site the SKS uses about 4 antennas in the car, one in each front door, one in the hatchback, and one inside the car. It also has a rather short range compared to other door lock/unlock systems. Some of them work clear across the parking lot, the one in my Prius will usually start working when I am 20 or 30 feet from the car. That is when using the lock/unlock/panic buttons; I think you need to be closer for the "touch the handle" part of the system to work. I have had other people try to unlock it with me 10 or so feet away and it won't work, if I move to within a couple of feet of the door it works fine.

Anyway glarnerman I haven't seen this particular problem posted before so I tend to think it may be rather unusual. Hope the "expert" from Toyota can solve it for you, obviously it can be fixed if they are willing to put enough time and effort into it, don't let them give up on it.

One suggestion, find another SKS Prius and test all of it's functions. That way you will know how yours should work and they won't be able to tell you it's fixed when it isn't. They most likely wouldn't do that anyway but it pays to be prepared.

5. glarnerman

glarnerman Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jun 7 2006, 10:46 AM) [snapback]267248[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the suggestion, tumbleweed. I really should get a feel for a properly functioning SKS so I know if mine gets repaired correctly.

6. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glarnerman @ Jun 7 2006, 09:41 AM) [snapback]267213[/snapback]</div>
    Is TOYOTA providing you with a loaner car during all of this ??????????

7. glarnerman

glarnerman Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(B Rad @ Jun 7 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]267378[/snapback]</div>
    I can't complain there - the dealership gave me a 2004 Camry LE while my Prius is in the shop. The MPG is not nearly as high as my Prius, but a very nice car otherwise.

8. glarnerman

glarnerman Junior Member

Well, it took 10 days at the shop, but my SKS problem was finally solved. The dealership requested a Toyota field engineer come and look at the problem as they were unable (even after talking to Toyota and replacing several parts) to resolve the issue. The Toyota engineer arrived early on 6/8 and determined the "door lock receiver" was faulty. It was replaced and the condition was resolved. I am told this is a very rare problem. The dealership claimed this was the only such problem they have ever seen. Anyway, the Prius SKS works as advertised now. :)

9. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad you posted back for us to read and know that your issue was resolved. My first thought was the receiver as I read through the postings, not the "module" as you called it. The logic I use is kind of like this. If you have a 2-way radio and it doesn't work you can blame the radio, but it is smarter to start out with the antenna and work your way down to the radio. Same thing here. SKS worked ocassionally, and as such the receiver (antenna) was probably a more likley culpret than the control module.

I'm glad all is well with you now and they resolved this issue for you, even if it took a little time.