1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sks issues and package confusion!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by MattyD., Jun 11, 2021.

1. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My first prius came with the beautifully functional sks system which was probably my favorite feature of the car. When I got my second one, a 2009, I assumed it didn't have sks. I can't seam to figure out which package I have and whether or not the car does in fact have the sks system. It has gps, Bluetooth, foglights and navigation, as well as leather interior oh and those lame hid headlights. My key fob has a silver toyota emblem and I do have a key button under the steering wheel. I have a brand new battery in the fob and have tried pushing the key button in the car but it makes no difference. The car acts like it doesn't have sks even tho it has the botton. Any input on which package this is and whether or not it has sks and if so, how do I make it functional?
    Thanks a mil!!

Attached Files:

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it has the "key" button under the steering wheel and the small square black button on the front door handles and hatch then it has SKS.

When you operate the remote, on any function, does the small red led in the upper right corner of the FOB illuminate? does the car respond?

3. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do have all the little rubber buttons, the key fob locks and unlocks the doors with the buttons, but has to be pushed into the slot to start the car. So it acts like it doesn't have sks. And yes the little red lights flashes.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So one good thing is that the FOB has the correct RFID chip in it. That's great to hear. The SKS button on the dash needs to be in the 'out' position for SKS to be enabled.

The SKS system allows operation of the door locks just by touching the door handle and allows the car to be started with the FOB in your pocket.

So right now, we know the car will not start but will the driver door or passenger front door unlock when you touch the door handle?

If I remember correctly, each front door has a sensor and there's a sensor in the center console, but I would have to verify that.

Also keep in mind that the FOB essentially has two different circuits. One is for the buttons/door locks and one is for the SKS identification protocol. Like IFF if you're familiar with radar systems. Its possible that portion of the FOB isn't functional any longer. Do you have one or two fobs?

#4 TMR-JWAP, Jun 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can see what features the vehicle shipped with by entering your VIN at : Vehicle Specification | Toyota Owners

6. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I only have the one key, it only unlocks the door with the buttons, not automatically. It performs exactly like a for that doesn't have sks.

Weird update. I got home from a drive in a different vehicle a few minutes ago and grabbed my keys to unlock the front door and the prius car alarm goes off. Maybe I accidentally pressed the panic button, but when I hit the unlock button nothing happened. I unlocked the prius manually, put the key in the slot and the car started right up and disabling the alarm. Now the keyfob is totally dead. Fob won't lock or unlock the car. I did notice when the alarm was going off, the little red light on the fob was solid. I'm very confused as I just replaced the battery 2 days ago( in the fob). Now red light on the fob is blinking, but won't lock or unlock the car.

#6 MattyD., Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  7. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I tried this and it says my car came with halogen headlights but it came with hid's unless someone did a really good job installing hids and a autoleveling system just like factory. It also just says it came with remote keyless entry, does not mention the sks

#7 MattyD., Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  8. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just now figured out how to reply directly to people lol.

Key fob is now completely dead, ill try taking out the battery and putting it back in as well as unplugging the 12v battery. I have the key button in the out position but it makes no difference. I have not seen a single indication of the sks system being remotely functional and iv definitely looked as my first prius had it and it was lovely. Maybe I need to replace sensors? But I'm a little weirded out because its not just one part that's not working, the entire system seams to be down.

#8 MattyD., Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
  9. MattyD.

MattyD. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok sorry for all the posts. My buddy at oriellys figured out that my panic button was stuck depressed causing the fob to spaz out. Now the buttons are functioning normally. So I still have absolutely no sks functionality and I need to replace my only key fob. It sounds like a non sks fob costs $150-200, do I have any options but to go to the dealer for a new sks equipped key?? On a separate note, maybe I need to replace components of the sks system on the car??

10. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Remote keyless entry is SKS, by another name.
    What color logo is on the back of your current key fob? If it is not silver (as opposed to black) then a previous owner might have done a cheap replacement using a secondhand non-SKS fob.
    Yes, but it will cost a bomb if you pay them for a new key and have them pair it to your car. I would search online Toyota dealers online for a brand new silver-logo key fob and take it to a dealer willing to pair with your car for a reasonable cost. A good place to find Toyota online dealers at Toyota Parts Center Online.

If you don't have two silver logoed key fobs, buy two now. The cost to pair two keys at the same time is only fractionally more than a single key.

#10 dolj, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2021
    srellim234 likes this.