1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS key fob stopped working, then violin!, it started working again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ez2bez, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Ez2bez

Ez2bez New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After both my key fobs stopped unlocking, locking and allowing the car to start, and none of the black buttons would lock the car about two months ago, I searched threads here and all over the internet for a solution. After I insured that batteries in the fobs were good, enable/disable switch was out and operational - (tested with a multimeter), 12VDC battery was good, fuses were good, under the dash looking for loose plugs or pins backed out of plugs, and reluctant to try reprograming fobs that used to be working, I resigned myself to using the metal key to open the door and sticking the fob in the slot to start the car while I mulled over what to do. I suspected the SKS module had failed.

Two weeks ago I walked out to the car with the key fob in my hand and used that hand to open the door, not remembering if the car was locked or not. When my fingers touched the door handle getting ready to pull the handle, to my surprise, I got the double beep! Whaaat? I got in the car, and it started without the fob in the slot. I shut down, got out and tested all functions, lock, unlock, door buttons and alarm; all worked! It's been working ever since, hence my delay in reporting this.

Having worked troubleshooting electronics all my career, it's beyond rare they fix themselves. Could the close proximity of the fob to the door handle when my fingers touched it somehow forced recognition of the fob?

Your thoughts?