1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS (key in pocket) works for lock and unlock, but not ignition...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HDuncan, Apr 13, 2015.

1. HDuncan

HDuncan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just bought a new 2006 prius and have an issue with the FOB (it's pretty beat up from use -- ordered a new housing for it)...

It works great for locking and unlocking the car with the key in pocket, but as soon as I sit down to turn on the car, I get the beep and key icon flashing on the dash and no activity.

Only when I insert the key into the slot will the car turn on. The Key disable button under the steering wheel is not engaged.

Again, it recognizes for locking button and unlocking when I touch the handle, but I have to physically plug it in for the car to start....

Also, I just put fresh batteries in it last night.

#1 HDuncan, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how's the 12v health?

wjtracy likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bisco has a good suggestion to check the 12v battery, maybe needs replaced.
    I sometimes have to pull the key out of my pocket but not so far as having to plug it in.
    Check you button battery for voltage... 3.3+v for good fresh one.

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    So is the problem unchanged with the new battery ?
    I suspect that your FOB has failed. The section that responds to button pushes is different than the section that activates the ignition.
    It might not even be the original FOB that came with the car.
    I suppose that you only got one ??

A Toyota dealer could fix you up with two working FOBs........for BIG bucks.
    If you call around to locksmiths, they probably can fix you up for about half what the dealer charges; still not exactly cheap though.

Locksmith or Google (Ebay).

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Where did you order the new fob housing. As far as I am aware Toyota only sell complete fobs at an alarming price.

Only complete secondhand fobs on sale on Ebay UK, and locksmiths do not stock them in the UK. Dealers only sell complete fobs.

I see they are for sale on US Ebay.

John (Britprius)

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Housing only available, as mentioned, on eBay, Amazon, etc.

7. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Is that some weird legal thing ?
    If not, I don't understand it.
    How many have you checked with ??

Well I encourage people to do their own searches and research since we seem to have conflicting data here.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen both full remotes and just covers on Ebay or Amazon........but maybe only for certain car models.

#7 Easy Rider 2, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2015
  8. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Locksmiths in general will cut keys for cars, but do not get heavily involved with the electronic mechanisms in vehicles. This is probably due to the high overheads of equipment required, the comparatively small market with often multiple dealers in most towns. and the short distances between towns on our small island.

Locksmiths "other than what I would call key cutters or lock fitters" are few and far between with the exception of perhaps London the capital.

There are lots of Prius key fobs advertised on Ebay, but the pictures clearly show these are flip type key fobs that will not fit in the slot in the dash of the gen2 Prius. This is a requirement with the UK Prius as we did not get SKS here on any version of the gen2.

Checking the US Ebay I see several key fob shells available that would probably work providing the circuit boards "battery position etc" are the same again bearing in mind our fobs have only 2 buttons. We do get lots of adds on Ebay for used fobs from the US along with many other Prius parts at reasonable prices, but when delivery charges are added the prices become much to high. A Prius battery module is advertised from the US at £23.89 ($40) "reasonable cost" The delivery cost on top of this is£39.14 ($65) or $105 in total meaning well more than double the UK cost.

The UK fob is not dismantle able other than access to the battery. Removing the circuit board means breaking open the case.

John (Britprius)

#8 Britprius, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There must be a proximity sensor problem with your car, specifically the one in your center console. I believe that's the one that needs to detect your key in order for you to start the car.

You can test this theory by opening your windows and trying to lock your key in your car. If you are able to lock your keyfob in your car, then most likely that proximity sensor in the console is not working.

Ernie stires, HDuncan and alekska like this.
  10. HDuncan

HDuncan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sneaky..... I'll try this right away

11. HDuncan

HDuncan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

Ok, so the car locks even with the SK inside. This means the proximity sensor in my center console is disconnected or fried?

12. HDuncan

HDuncan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Any by lock, I mean it locks if I press the lock button on the FOB or if I press the handle lock button

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not suppose to lock if the key is detected inside. That just means there's something wrong with the sensor in the console.

wjtracy and HDuncan like this.
  14. HDuncan

HDuncan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow you were totally right on the money... I had removed the center console to clean out what looks like the previous owner's 4 year old spilled milkshake... Reconnected the sensor and everything works again.

Thank you!!!!!!!

wjtracy likes this.
  15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you only have 1 fob, you should order another new one right away. Cost is around $120 online. If the 1 fob gets lost or stops working, it would end up costing hundreds and hundreds or possibly a thousand to replace.

16. HDuncan

HDuncan Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Whoa, why would it cost so much after losing my only fob compared to buying a spare now? Doesn't the dealer charge a ton to program replacements?

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    now, you only have to buy a fob. if you have no fobs, you also have to replace the computer as well.

valde3 likes this.
  18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you can program the fob yourself, as long as it's brand new and not a used fob. there are step by step instructions posted on this site. If a dealer were to do it, they would charge you a standard 1 hour labor charge.

If you lose all your keys, then you would be forced for buy the fobs for retail price at the dealer....which can be a lot. Also the car's computer has to be deleted of all the fobs in memory and new fobs added. Depending on the knowledge of the dealer doing it, it may even require a replacement of the entire computer.

So just get a spare while you still have 1 working fob. Your wallet will thank you later.

HDuncan likes this.
  19. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I need to check for a milkshake too, although coffee is more likely.
    Center console you mean under the cup holders to the right of the driver?

20. Easy Rider 2

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If you can find a locksmith that deals with FOBs, the part and the labor will both be about half what a dealer charges.
    But I'm pretty sure that only a dealer can "fix" having both of them lost.