1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS non-responsive for a few minutes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by theclarinetguy32, Nov 7, 2013.

1. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's charging now.
    Everything I've read so far on the remotes doesn't line up with them being faulty, especially since I can see the LED indicator going off when I press the buttons even when the car doesn't recognize it.
    The places I've experienced this issue seem random (other than my driveway) and haven't seen anyone else having issues when I did. With so many newer cars out using the same SKS type setup, if there was interference I wouldn't be the only one having problems.

But as you said, see what it is in the morning. Amazon could have that battery here on Wed if needed.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The interference I am speaking of would be like having change in your pocket with your fob, or a cellphone in the same pocket. Things like that. Also, the location of the fob vs the receivers on the car. If you stand beside the door the fob will generally work, but sometimes if you stand behind it like towards the back door the fob might give you trouble. I have a feeling it is going to end up being the 12 volt, but before I invested in that I would go buy a brand new CR2032 battery and put it in the key fob and see if that helps. The fob battery is a LOT cheaper than the 12 volt and easier to put in too.

It is well known that a weak 12 volt can cause problems with the key fob range, and it seems that the problem you are experiencing is due to the location (range) of the fob to the car.

Hope all of this makes sense. You are not the first to have this sort of problem. If I get in a bad place and not have my body in the right place, I too will on rare occasion have to touch the door handle twice. Plus if I have my cellphone or a bunch of change around my fob, it will act up at times. It was a lot worse before I changed my 12 volt battery. I was getting 12.1 and 11.9 on my readings when mine was acting up a lot like yours is now.

3. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have seen interference mostly with my cell phone. Initially it was if I had both in the same pocket, but now it's with both fobs not close to anything electronic. This last time the car refused to recognize the fob I was pressing the unlock button on the remote multiple times as I slowly walked towards the trunk. Even with a small dead spot location around certain areas of the car it would have picked it up as I was walking.

Anyway, so the whole issue of the car appearing to 'black out' for a few minutes and not recognize either the fob proximity or unlock button press was something you have seen on your car? I can understand the proximity portion being severely reduced, but does the receiver for the lock/unlock fob buttons also relay on the same or sub system?

I suppose the thing I'm stuck on is trying to figure out if all the issues I'm seeing are fully on the battery on it's way out, or if there is a (hopefully not) bigger (or smaller) issue at hand.

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, the whole system works together in tandem. It all works off of a radio signal. The fob can be working great, but if the 12 volt is weak, then the receiver won't always pick up the signal. It doesn't matter if it is the SKS or the buttons, it is still running off of the same radio signal.

With time, the 12 volt has progressively gotten weaker, hence more of the problem you are experiencing. Try a new fob battery. If that doesn't work, then replace the 12 volt. The MFD test will tell you for sure if the battery is on its way out. So far, your numbers are lower than where they should be. Remember mine was acting up at 12.1 volts and that is where you are now. Once I changed the 12 volt, all the problems went away. I had more than one thing going on at that time.

5. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Right then. Since I have the original style yellow top I'll swing by a local store and see if it's easier to do a direct replacement or try and get a hold of the specific prius designed one.
    Is the only difference the terminal placement?

Oh and did you see the batteryminder pulse unit I mentioned a few posts ago? The description said its not to be plugged in, just used inline on the battery. I think amazon had it listed for ~$60. Given the short lifespan of this battery I'm wondering if something like this would be advisable.

6. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My understanding is that the latest Optima Yellow Top is a direct drop in replacement which requires no modification. If you went with that, you would have to revert back to the original configuration of the terminals. I believe the older yellow top used a kit of some sort. Also the new Yellow Top does have the JIS posts (small ones) and they are reversed which is identical to the OEM battery.

I did see a mention of something you referred to, but I was unsure exactly what you were referring to.

I am aware that the Battery Minder I have is supposed to desulfate a battery, however when you read all of the information that the manufacturer provides, it is clear that it takes quite a bit of time and depending on how bad the sulfation has become, there is the possibility that it won't work entirely on a heavily sulfated battery. It is unfortunate that batteries such as these will sulfate over time.

I am not sure if you were referring to something like this, but I thought I would mention it.

On another note, the chart below will give you an idea of what voltages mean concerning amount of charge in your battery. Your battery is a AGM type. Remember that the voltages referred to are measured at the battery terminals in a open circuit with a digital volt meter. In the Prius, the voltage will read about .2 to .4 lower due to draw on the battery by onboard devices.

Battery SOC Chart.jpg

7. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After charging overnight I ran the numbers again and it looked pretty good. But... I had left the car for about 12 hours today and before I started it up I ran numbers again. There was a significant drop, pretty much the same as the lower numbers I was seeing initially. Just put an order in via elearnaid, so probably 3-4 days to get here from LA area.
    The product I was referring to is an onboard Desulfator. Battery Tester, Battery Tester Desulfator, Battery Tester Maintainer
    I don't foresee any future mil duties requiring me to put the car on blocks or not used for a significant amount of time (I'm still thinking the long sit time may have added to this issue). So, if with normal use I'm uncertain if an onboard desfl. unit will really be needed. Since people have commented on the yellow tops performing fine at 5 years (and no mention of using such a device), it would seem the device shouldn't be needed but there is the unknown factor of what really caused my battery to go belly up faster than normal and if it may happen with this new battery too.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Since you have now seen that the battery won't hold a charge as evidenced by the 12 hour period, I think you are on the right track now.

Many here on this board including myself regularly top off the 12 volt with a good smart charger. If you get into that practice, you may find that the new battery will hold up better over the long haul. The battery in our Prius is 10 months old now. I have topped it off about four times now with the Battery Minder I have. It usually only takes a few minutes to bring it up to full charge.

Our Prius sits at times for two or three days as I don't commute daily to a job any more. Since I leave the SKS system on all of the time, I have to keep an eye on the voltage. I don't want it drop a lot since wild swings in voltage can contribute to the sulfation process.

The product you linked would work great if you were running it on a alternative power source. I believe it basically does the same thing that ours does. The difference I think is the power source. Mine runs on 120 volts. I bought it originally to try to revive the old battery. I nursed it for seven months before finally deciding to change it on a cold rainy morning last January. Glad I have a carport to work under.

Whatever you do, make sure the battery you get is fully charged before you install it. Check the voltage at the post's before you hook it up. Remember that a fully charged AGM type battery should read at least 12.9 volts. Optima should read 13.1 as well as the Toyota True Start.

Battery SOC Chart.jpg

9. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From the product details it does say it only runs when the vehicle is running, providing pulses to break up any crystal formation. No external power needed.
    From a marketing standpoint it sounds like a perfect match by keywords alone. But despite the advertising to take care of desulf. crystal issues, it is not clear what circumstances one would actually need this if the vehicle is used daily/normal operations.

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think the whole idea behind it is to keep the sulfation down to a minimum. All of these batteries tend to sulfate over time. That is one of the reasons they have to be replaced. If you keep the battery fully charged, then the process is slower but it still happens with time. Because of that there are some here on PC that hook up smart chargers at least once a month. The Prius doesn't have the greatest charging system in the world, and it seems that the smart chargers do a better job at topping it off.

Sulfation and How to Prevent it - Battery University

http://www.iceking.ca/_mndata/iceking/uploaded_files/Sulfated%20Batteries.pdf

11. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    alrighty, so the conditioner I listed seems like an unnecessary item when the battery minder I just got does the same thing.
    Thanks for setting that fact straight!

12. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I added a couple of links you can read that goes into the details about sulfation. It is one of those things that "the jury is still out on", but makes a lot of sense. I have looked inside a few dead battery and have seen the crystals they talk about. I have also seen what a shorted out cell looks like. What seems common more than anything is that the batteries were left untended for a long time (allowed to discharge) and or were not kept fully charged.

By topping them off once a month, it stands to reason that the longevity of the battery life will improve rather than get shorter.

13. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It seems for the past few days the car now will not recognize the key fobs at all right after I turn off the car. Since it's now every time not just random I wanted to ask if that is another 'symptom' common or not that fits along with the dying battery.
    Interestingly enough despite the past few days of the car not recognizing things after I turn it off, it seems to be doing fine with proximity and auto unlocking the drivers door.
    Odd how this works!

14. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I may revive this thread:
    Got a new yellow top in but since I had a pre-prius style yellow top I had to send it back. Bernard over at elearnaid was a pleasure to work with on that. Got the american style post yellow top in, hooked everything up and after a few short drives I pulled this off the check screen 12.6, 12.3 14.1. Ig on mode could be a bit higher but the other two are within range.
    But... my SKS issues returned the next day. Same non-responsiveness at random times. I went out and bought 2 brand new 2032 batteries for the key fobs and still the same issue.
    The issue seems to be the same regardless of which fob I use, so I would guess that directs the aim of this problem at the SKS module of the car?

Not exactly wanting to willingly submit to an expensive session with Toyota, but if anybody can recommend any other routes to try?

Thanks

15. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What kind of electrical noise environment are you in? Cell phones in the pocket can interfere, as can other radio sources nearby. Does this problem happen only in one place, or anywhere?

16. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's pretty much anywhere, home, work, store parking lots. Keys can be out of the pocket, in the pocket. I can have the thing within 4 inches of the handle (i.e. perfect sensor position) and nothing. Yesterday I had the car running, pumped up one of the tires and when I got in, no matter where I put the fob (minus in the slot) it wouldn't recognize it being in the car. This same behavior also happens when trying to lock the car right after I turn it off. The car won't recognize the fob in either the remote sensing or pushing of the lock/unlock buttons. The only way I can lock the car is to push the inside lock rocker on one of the doors.
    But, even with all these errors, let's say I park at a store. turn the car off, after maybe 10 minutes or so the car will unlock and start by sensing the remote.

17. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is weird. The only other thing is the prox/SKS sensors in the car. I've never seen them go bad. Are you able to duplicate this problem at will or does it happen randomly?

18. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At this point I'd say the inability to lock the car in any way using the remote after the car is turned off is fairly solid. The entry and ignition times are a bit more random.
    Would this be something a trip to the shop could show with a reading from the diagnostic software? I think they aim for just under $100 for the initial assessment, then of course the bill adds up.

19. theclarinetguy32

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know 'technically' the other option is to simply disable the SKS function and just use the car with the key for the doors and the fob for the ignition, but it still brings up the question of what in the world happened to throw this out of wack.

20. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The dealer should be able to diagnose/fix it but, I personally don't have a lot of faith in them. If they tell you they know what the problem is and want to replace "blank", ask them that if you allow them to replace "blank" will they guarantee you that will fix it? If they say no, walk away. (that's my advice).