1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS Programming via TechStream

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MisterMilox01, Apr 5, 2023.

1. MisterMilox01

MisterMilox01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,
    I've been doing some lurking researching threads on here on SKS programming. Seems Gen 3 prius are a bit easier than gen 2, and after reading about the chicken dance and programming requirements and walkthoughs with TS, I have a couple questions.

My current situation: I bought my 2007 Prius used, and it came with a blank (black logo) fob. I'm looking at purchasing a silver logo SKS fob from my local Toyota dealer (part #8994-47061). I looked into the chicken dance but one of the steps requires holding lock/unlock on the original fob. My current (only fob) does not unlock the doors, I have to use the physical key. It's only purpose is starting the car.

I do have a copy of TechStream, VCI cable and the ability/knowledge to successfully use the program. If I purchased a new SKS fob, would I be able to program it via TS rather than bothering with the chicken dance, despite my current fob issues?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Without a working fob you would have to access the "all keys lost" procedure in Techstream. You would also need to procure a "seed code" to use in that procedure. These codes are not legitimately available (for obvious reasons) without authorized locksmith certification. In addition, some report that key programming functions are not available in their Techstream/VCI combo.

The procedure is documented in the repair manual. More info here.

MisterMilox01 likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Seems to me the 300 dollar 1 time pay out if you're not a key loser type . Would be relatively smart or when you're buying these cars You make sure that people you're buying from look through their junk drawers make sure you're getting the fob or fobs that you should be I always ask when I'm looking and buying a car especially cars like this where the fob and those things are a real part of the system things become more tedious and a pain in the nice person if you don't have it A lot of people have the other fob sitting in their junk drawer in the first thing they say is all we lost that a long time ago No they didn't they stuck it in the junk drawer and forgot about it I asked people to look when I'm talking to them about buying their car and it comes up that there's only one key fob I always ask did you ever have two have you looked in the junk drawer out in the garage whatever a car like this minus one fob is a big problem or can become one quickly and costly so I try not to do it maybe if it's a work vehicle and I can leave the fob in it pretty much all the time but other than that not so much and then I'm dealing with women daughters etc all of these are possible problems

4. MisterMilox01

MisterMilox01 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I can determine if those functions are in my copy of TS. Now to clarify what you’re saying, I do have a working fob to start the car with, or are you referencing a working SKS fob, meaning I’d have to go the ‘all fobs lost’ route?

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you have a SKS car but do not have a completely functioning SKS key fob, then you have to go the "all keys lost" route.

What some people have found with their bootleg Techstream, is that the program might list a particular test or procedure, but will throw errors when actually trying to do them.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.