1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS Trouble on 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by okiedokie, Jul 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. okiedokie

okiedokie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Everyone,

I have a problem with one of my Smart Keys. Car was purchased used with 2 smart keys one of which had a lot more wear than the other. One is working just as it should. The worn one stopped working except when it is inserted in the dashboard key slot. I replaced the battery and now the red LED flashes with all 3 buttons; however they do not Lock, Unlock, or Panic anymore! Car does not respond at all! I have read that the keycode is unique to the key fob and that code ought to be already accepted by the car. What do I have to do to get this key working again? I am getting a new aftermarket shell and plan to make the key look better and replace the missing red button.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That key probably doesn't belong with the car, verify all 3 buttons are not stuck and click when pressed.

Best to just buy a brand NEW key online for around $100 to replace it. You can program it yourself with instructions posted in this site. You don't have to waste money on a new cover either

#2 JC91006, Jul 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  3. okiedokie

okiedokie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi JC,

It did work and I had been using it for a week or two because my other FOB seemed to be weakening. Took my car to a repair shop about another issue and the service manager and I could not get the remote functions to work. So I pushed it into the dash key slot and voila! it worked. When he finished I used the remote functions successfully for about a day and a half before the ship really hit the sand. The LED stopped working altogether except occasionally the LED lit when I hit the Panic button. Got a new battery and installed that and now the LED lights with all buttons, but car just does not respond.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can try swapping the 2 batteries and trying it again, you know for sure 1 battery is working properly.

Still make sure you have no stuck buttons