1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SKS Watch?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by keeponrunning, Oct 21, 2005.

1. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Very true for a watch, but a key fob for $250 - that's ridiculous. Sounds like a nasty price-fixing tactic that RSA would use.

2. Clar

Clar Member

How much a regular Citizen watch like this cost? Probably costs at least one hundred something. Plus the cost of fob, so $400 is about right.

[​IMG]

I want to get one after I get the prius. It's so cool. :)

3. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<_<
    Not if you're rich.
    I don't think I know anyone with a watch even approaching the $400 mark.

And, yes, it is a fantastic idea.
    I would like one too, even if it didn't function as a watch as well.

I just think it's way pricey for what you'd be getting.

Is it as nice as a $400 watch?

4. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have $400 to burn, but if I could get this, I'd do it to have an extra fob around.

Plus, I've been going w.o a watch for severla years - it would save my wife some time getting me something for xmas.

5. mitchbf

mitchbf New Member

There are people out there paying thousands of $'s for a Rolex that doesn't keep time as well as my solar powered Casio atomic watch. I even get compliments on the looks of it as well. As much as I like gadgets, it scares me that someone from Toyota is going to read here that there are crazy Prius owners out there willing to pay $480 for a watch that will replace their fob! It might be cheaper just to pay your physician to surgically implant your fob in your chest, much as they would do a pacemaker battery pack... :lol:

6. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Now, there's an idea. LOL. I wonder how many eccentrics out there would do it. That'd be a great PC fundraiser/lotto drawing. Put $5 into a pot to win an operation to insert a key fob into your arm or chest.

7. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

:lol: LMAO :lol:

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I discussed this with areometer (of Sigma Automotive). According to his contact in Japan the above info about this being specifically for the Crown luxury car line is accurate and it's unlikely that it will be compatible with Prius. I sure wish we had better contact with one of the Japanese Prius groups, I'm sure they've looked into this already and know the answer.

Regarding cost, these things are all relative. Rolex go for $15000, I have a Tissot that's in the $550 range...best watch I've ever had by far. People choke at the cost of my cameras too, and yet I can't believe the price other folks pay to golf stuff, and other personal interests/hobbies.

Let's not try to be quite so judgemental maybe, huh! We all have our priorities in life. One $400 watch/fob makes a lot more sense to me than a $75/month smoking habit. A smoker might not agree.

9. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<_< I don't mind if folks spend more than I would consider on stuff they want.

I do think that hundreds of dollars is too much for very limited function electronic device (fob) and that, if made available in watch format, should only be available as an expensive watch.

Is there any reason that a watch/sksFob shouldn't be available at a more accessible price? (And sure, offer a fancy model as well for folks that want luxury.)

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The "Is there any reason" part is easy--the reason is that it's a luxury item. SKS is a luxury feature and once you start down that road of luxury all accessories are going to be expensive...because they can charge that much and many people will pay it.

If the question is "Is there a logical/fair reason" that it costs so much--then the answer is probably "no". Build the chip (mfg cost maybe on the order of $25?) into a waterproof plastic watch like a Timex, sell it for $75, still make a tidy profit...yea, I agree that would be nice. I'd probably buy the cheaper model (if the watch part met my needs). But it doesn't make it realistic to expect it.

Just in case you're hearing it for the first time..life ain't fair. :huh:

11. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

<_< For 2006, SKS is part of every package except #1.
    In my region, the lowest package available without ordering from the factory is #4 and I'd be surprised if any US region was stocking #4.
    I don't think you can legitimately call SKS a luxury if its essentially standard equipment in a Prius.

Like I said, I have no problem whatever in a luxury model for people with the means and desire.
    Do you have a problem with an affordable version being available for the rest of us?

12. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1)Just b/c that's how it comes on the Prius doesn't mean it's not a luxury feature. Ask any Lexus owner if they think it is.

2) When I said
    I thought that would make it clear that I don't have a problem with an affordable version being made available to everyone. The point I was trying to make, and that I apparently didn't make clear enought, is that your expectation of it being made more affordable is unrealistic. The SKS fob alone is nearly $200 + programming...They're just not going to start selling for less. I suppose it's possible a third party/aftermarket distributor might be able to replicate the SKS chip, but then that is probably patented/proprietory stuff and would be a risky endeavor for a relatively small market.

So, I repeat, I agree it would be nice, and I, too, would probably go with a cheaper version (or maybe I'd get both, one for everyday/work and one for nights 'on the town'), but it ain't gonna happen. Heck, at this point I just wish it was available for Prius at all!

It really seems like Toyota could set up a cottage industry of selling SKS products. Home door locks, pad-lock type locks, etc that could all be programmed to a single SKS fob/watch/implanted chip or whatever.

BTW, the implanted chip thing isn't that far fetched. We already implant tiny chips under the skin of dogs/cats for tracking. I have to think there'd be some way to do so in humans. Probably would be energizing it for the long haul meaning a surgical implant with a long life battery would probably be necessary, an thus it would be larger and leave a noticable 'bump' in the skin. So the market for that and then the cost of doing so would be ridiculously high.

13. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

:eek: I think I'll pass.

14. c4

c4 Active Member

I'd be willing to bet that SKS is the same for all Toyota vehicles that use the system- there's really no reason for Toyota to change the system for vehicle-specific variants (if anything, it would cost them more to do this and would have no real benefits).. I would think that you'd just have to program the vehicle to recognize the watch as a valid SKS key.

In any case, I think $380 is not a lot for a good watch... Heck, I paid $120 for a "Swatch Irony chronograph" (the real irony is that it's made of aluminum, not iron) last year to replace the dead $30 Timex- nice looking but definitely *NOT* a high-end watch, however it's proven to be a very good timepiece- it's rugged (except for the plastic crystal which scratches way too easily), and most importantly, it keeps time within seconds per month, which is excellent for a watch with a mostly plastic movement; certainly better than the $5 Walmart things where the strap breaks in a month or the batteries only last 2 weeks at a time..

Going to a nice titanium watch with a glass crystal (vs. the plastic of the Swatch), and integrating SKS for $380 is really not a huge premium at all... I would certain buy one if I had an SKS equipped vehicle..

15. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Contact Sigma Auto--he can get one for you if you truely want to 'bet' your $400 and test it out. I'm eager to hear the results as I'd be in on the very next purchase if it's compatible.

16. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

I would be right behind efusco...

A fob watch is SUCH a great idea!

What about security? No one would EVER think to steal your watch if they wanted to steal your car!

17. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    This brings up the question, what happens when the battery in the watch goes out? If the battery goes out on the regular fobs you can use that tiny key to open the door and then stick the fob in the slot. You can't do either with the watch. Conceivably you could be stranded with no way to get in or drive. Or do you carry your fob "just in case" (which of course negates the reason for the watch)?

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was previously mentioned. I think it would be safest to hide the hard key somewhere on the outside of the vehicle or to keep one of the temporary 'credit card keys' in your wallet/purse so you could get in the car. Then keep a standard SKS fob inside the car, without a battery in it, so you could drive the car (unless this watch is designed to fit in the slot!).

19. keeponrunning

keeponrunning New Member

But the funny (not haha funny, more like messed up funny) thing would be if someone stole your watch and you were out somewhere and couldnt get home because inadvertently the also stole the keys to your car :blink:

I'm not even going to get into the whole is it out of reason to buy a 400 carkey. Yep, it's totally ridiculious, yes, it's over the top, you bet I would love a ten dollar version I could pick up at Wal-Mart with a case of beer and some chee-toes..... But it aint gonna happen. Whine all day, b!tch all night, youll never see it.

BUT My wife always trys to find me something cool for Christmas, I always get whatever I want when something comes out, so shes left with few choices. This would be something totally awesome that I want but probably wouldnt buy myself. It's expensive, impractical, and a billion times cooler than anything else she could EVER find for me.

20. MBranstein

MBranstein New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I believe that the watch is solar powered.