1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sleep apnea

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, May 24, 2006.

1. tcrowson

tcrowson New Member

After having Migraines for 30 years I was diagnosed with acute sleep apnea and I have been on a cpap machine for four years. Recently I was upgraded to a bi-pap or APAP machine (Respironics Remstar Pro 2 with C-Flex) that is a great improvement. It reduces that air pressure when you exhale thus making it easy to breath. I also upgraded to a ResMed Swift mask that is much lighter and easier to ware.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the final word:

so after a bunch of runaround (aka he's the only one they've seen who chose to seek a cheaper machine because of our high deductible) and confusion about who writes the prescription :)rolleyes:) we finally got the machine yesterday in the mail.

can we say "miracle of modern science?" holy hell! he's a different person altogether!

he had more energy today than he's had in years... and the strange thing is that he had two wisdom teeth removed first thing this morning... i wonder how he'll feel after a week of this...

i couldn't keep him still for 5 minutes today, even right when we got home from the surgeon. i yelled at him continuously all day to go sit down... but he got bored and went out and dug out a garden patch in the back yard this afternoon! :blink:

the machine is nice and quiet, but his mask is kinda noisy. he sleeps right through it, but it woke me up a couple times last night. he's using a remstar plus and a comfortcurve nasal mask. the mask is known for whistling when laying on your side i guess- but he hated the traditional masks they tried at the sleep clinic.

so all turned out well. long term sounds very promising, and the sleep clinic gave him an excellent prognosis.

thanks very much for all the support, guys :)

3. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 26 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]261315[/snapback]</div>
    You never said anything (just a little "between the lines"), but obviously, YOU deserve to feel like a normal person, too.

Of course, few of us know about the personal tribulations, relatively petty or severe, that others in the group have undergone or are undergoing---until someone just happens to bring something up for one or another reason. FHOP can be a very handy place in such cases.

Since it's come to light, galaxee, I (and I'm sure others, or I'd be PMing instead of posting this) will be interested in knowing how things go for you and DH, if you feel that sharing a bit wouldn't be too intrusive. I knew little or nothing about sleep apnea until now. Knowing a little now makes it easy for us to project a little about how some things have been for YOU (as well as DH) while you've been struggling with your post-grad work.

After getting out of your former lab situation, then finding another one, and now dealing with the apnea, maybe your life's finally going to enjoy a dramatic turn for the better over the next 1-3 years. Here's hoping.

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 16 2006, 08:34 PM) [snapback]272565[/snapback]</div>
    It would horribly ironic if his cure ended up your affliction!

My SIL says my brother's CPAP woke her up the first couple of nights, but within a week or so she slept right through it. He snored horribly prior to getting it, and she was used to that. So I guess for her it was a matter of unconciously retraining herself to the new "normal sounds" that were in the bedroom. Here's to that happening for you too!

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jun 17 2006, 03:31 AM) [snapback]272610[/snapback]</div>
    aww, thanks Jack :)

as for your question, i'll admit it's been a rough road. right now we're both kinda in shock about how much things have changed in the past 2 days. for years he's been very run down, practically no energy. it doesn't help that the dealership requires long days from their guys and he does very hard physical work for a living. asking him to do anything at home was like pulling teeth.

after 2 nights with this CPAP, he's awake before i am, doesn't need a daytime nap, wants to re wax the car today, dig the hole in the back yard a little bigger, and finish a number of projects he's left sit for months. he's looking forward to going back to work Monday and kicking some nice person. he's so full of energy now.

it's amazing what sleep apnea can do to a person, and it turns out it goes undiagnosed in so many people. i hope this kind of outcome might encourage anyone who's considering a sleep study to go out and do it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 17 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]272725[/snapback]</div>
    lol, i was initially really weirded out to not hear the snoring... the mask is no louder than what i was used to- it's just different. i'm sure i'll get used to it quickly. :)