1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sleeping In A New Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Travis, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Travis

Travis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to camp a lot in my 2008 Prius before I sold it. Now I no longer have the car, but would like to rent a new one for a long road trip. I'm wondering if the same mattress set up I used in the 2008 would work in the new models? I basically slid the front seats all the way forward, folded down the rear seats after removing the headrests, and used some storage boxes to fill the space between the front seat and back seat. It made a nice fit for a queen size air mattress and handled my 6'4" body.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

kc5dlo likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    by new, do you mean gen 3 or 4?

3. Travis

Travis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I plan to rent a new one from Enterprise, I'm assuming a Gen 4 (2016). They don't have any in stock here in my hometown or I'd just go on over and measure it myself. I have a website that shows how I did it in the 2008, but I am unable to post the web link on this forum.

kc5dlo likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    might be awhile before they have any. if you go over to th gen 4 forums, you'll find some threads on camping. the problem with the gen 4 is, the hatch bed is either lower than the folded rear seats, or higher, so you have to do something to account for that.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a prior thread ...some Gen4 versions without spare have uneven floor which some are making cutouts to make it level. Don't know if the Gen2/3 hatch tents will be available.

6. Travis

Travis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to both of you. I better check with Enterprise and see which Generation they will be renting to me. Maybe I've posted enough on this forum now that I can share the link with you about how I did it with my 2008: Florida Camping In A Prius

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ....cool!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great write up, well done! i'm sure you'll figure something out for gen 4.(y)

9. Travis

Travis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys. My only problem is I won't be able to see the Prius I'm renting until the day Enterprise gets it here in my little town. It won't give me much time to come up with a different solution if required.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    look through the gen 4 threads, there are pictures of the seats down. keep in mind there are 2models now, one with spare and one without. in each case, the hatch floor is a different level than the folded down seat back iirc.

11. Steve Lee

Steve Lee Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    check out the youtube video, it may be give you some information,
    , from 6min 10 sec to 6 min 30 sec

12. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's OK for one person, probably for two, as well. I carry a little 23" x 32" board in the back, move the front seat forward all the way, lay the back seat down and put the board on the folded down rear seat and the center console. No support is needed under the board for the passenger door side (I don't pile stuff under the board). It just works.

The only issue is with locking the doors. You either have to sit in the front seat and lock the doors with the switch on the driver's door and crawl into the back by putting the driver's seat back down and making the transition from front seat to sleeping area, or crawl in through the rear passenger door and reach forward to click the lock button. There is just no way I can figure out to use the smart key to lock the doors from the inside. And there is no "all lock" switch in the rear.

BTW, I am 6'-3" tall and the fit is a bit tight. It's great for sleeping anywhere, whether hot or cold. Just leave the car in the Ready mode, set the temp with the AC on and snooze away. I use a sleeping bag and an exercise pad for comfort. You don't need a heavy blanket since you control the temperature in the car, which selects either AC or heat, as needed. The car sips away at the fuel tank for a couple of minutes every hour or two, depending on the outside conditions. Once or twice the ICE startled me, but it's not bad. It does impact mileage, but the effect on the wallet is minimal. My guess is that even on a very hot night less than a gallon of gas is burned, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than a $600 hotel at the Grand Canyon's South Rim.

1x1 and RMB like this.
  13. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Travis, could you let us know what differences you found? Were there significant differences between the generations for camping purposes?

14. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    The local dealer would have the same car the rental place does, no?