1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sleeping in your Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystery Squid, Jun 17, 2005.

?
  1. No

28.6%
  2. Yes

57.1%
  3. I have had relations in my Prius!!

14.3%
  1. Skylid

Skylid New Member

I took a road trip to Atlanta, GA from Los Angeles, CA with a friend last month in my Prius. I drove almost 5,000 miles and slept in the car when I was tired. I found the most comfortable sleeping position for me is to fold down the rear seats and push the two front seats forward all the way. I put my luggage in the front of the car and put a duffle bag behind the driver seat to fill the gap (to extend the flat "bed" area. Then I put my pillow on the duffle bag to get a total of over 6 feet of flat surface. I kept the car running for 8 hours overnight with the AC on and all the electronics shut off (display, lights dimmed down). I had a thick quilt on the "bed" for cushion (I put this quilt in the rear spare tire compartment so it didn't take my precious luggage space).

I have to say we were very comfortable sleeping in the car and look forward to doing it again. I am also planning another road trip from Los Angeles to South America in my Prius with my wife and am looking for people interested in joining us.

2. Skylid

Skylid New Member

I took a road trip to Atlanta, GA from Los Angeles, CA with a friend last month in my Prius. I drove almost 5,000 miles and slept in the car when I was tired. I found the most comfortable sleeping position for me is to fold down the rear seats and push the two front seats forward all the way. I put my luggage in the front of the car and put a duffle bag behind the driver seat to fill the gap (to extend the flat "bed" area. Then I put my pillow on the duffle bag to get a total of over 6 feet of flat surface. I kept the car running for 8 hours overnight with the AC on and all the electronics shut off (display, lights dimmed down). I had a thick quilt on the "bed" for cushion (I put this quilt in the rear spare tire compartment so it didn't take my precious luggage space).

I have to say we were very comfortable sleeping in the car and look forward to doing it again. I am also planning another road trip from Los Angeles to South America in my Prius with my wife and am looking for people interested in joining us.

3. longjohn931

longjohn931 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That really sounds neat. Before you drifted off to sleep, could you tell how often the ICE kicked in to charge the battery for the a/c usage and did you hear it through the night?

4. HYACK

HYACK New Member

good Q, longjohn... curious myself. and p.s. what kinda hit on long-term alternator life would that have? if any?? Excuse my ignorance..

5. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh! Relations in the Prius..... I thought you meant making out in the Prius. Please remove my vote from that category. I intend having my son and his wife take a drive with us in the near future though.

6. Skylid

Skylid New Member

The engine comes on for about 30-45 seconds every 2-4 minutes depending on the AC setting. This was the first trip in which I slept in the car all night and I am not sure what long term potential damage this will do to the car. I was really concerned for it during the first night, but too tired to care after a while!!! I slept in the car for 6+ hours on 4 nights during the trip.

Does anybody know what potential damage keeping the car and AC on for 6+ hours on idle might cause?

7. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As long as you have gas and oil I would suggest none.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    once i had to wait on someone that i was giving a ride to. so i sat in the car with the air on and was there over an hour. my car didnt run no where near as much as yours did and the duration was longer.

it was 100º F and was there about an hour, but the car would start up for about 90 seconds every 10 minutes or so.

my air was set at 68º with lowest fan speed. also had radio on

9. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Wow, at least 36 people have had "relations" in their Prius... :lol: I sense a "niche" market opportunity here... Something like a small, hidden comparment somewhere easily accessible from the back seat. ;)

10. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    have slept in the pri on the way down to key west... had to take a nap break on the way down and on the way back up. i slept in the back seat on the way down and wouldn't recommend it if your spine is in any way not shaped the way it's supposed to be. ouch! haven't done much else though... yet...

11. benighted

benighted New Member

When I take my prius camping it eliminates the need for a tent. I just fold the rear seats down, put in my thin foam mattress and a few blankets. It is warmer and more comfortable than a tent. I have had relations in my prius. With tinted windows people walk by the car thinking it is empty :D

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Are you talking about the little cubby hole on the driver's side in the back? It sure is handy.

13. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Yes. My uncle and aunt.

;)

14. fproudfoot

fproudfoot New Member

15. fproudfoot

fproudfoot New Member

My wife says she would KILL me if I had said that in a public forum!!!

16. Mystery Squid

ALL RIGHT! :lol:

17. Mystery Squid

:eek:

What "cubby hole"? Are you talking about the hand-hole on the door armrest? Or like Star Trek, will I be going into undiscovered territory in my Pruis?

:ph34r:

18. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

I get to sleep in my car tonight. I have so much work that I won't even be going home until Sat. morning. Luckily I carry a sleeping bag. I might look into one of those air matresses too.

19. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

It's in the back hatch. I'm sure you've seen it.

20. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've slept in my prius once.. on a road trip from here to colorado.. but the car was full of my belongings.. and i slept in the passenger chair... it sucked.. the chair couldn't recline all the way because of my stuff in the way.