1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sleeping in your Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mystery Squid, Jun 17, 2005.

?
  1. No

28.6%
  2. Yes

57.1%
  3. I have had relations in my Prius!!

14.3%
  1. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Oct 20 2005, 02:46 AM)
    Are you talking about the little cubby hole on the driver's side in the back? It sure is handy.

undiscovered COUNTRY. Both Kirk and Picard were in that one.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have yet to sleep in the car, but then again, it's only 3 days old. However, i did get a nice hook up friday night because of the car.

Here we are, having a party here at my place (probably 100-150 people at the peak), and this chica i've known for a while but nevre done anything with wants to see the new car. so i take her out, show her all the options, at which point she decides we should move into the back seat so she can take a peak under the hood...

meanwhile, in the house, one of her sorority sisters was looking for her. she enlisted the aid of one of my housemates. They looked first in my room, clearly not there. The sister then suggests looking in the car, to which he replies "No way. Thats so lame. Why would he go to the car when he has a bed right here?" well, they sent another one of my housemates out (huge guy, 6 foot 10) to see if we were in there. after tripping twice on the way to the car, he proceeded to trip again into the car, scaring the crap out of us in the back seat. (don't worry, the car is fine)

It just goes to show... the thread about the prius and the corvette being the most satisfying cars over in the other topic... both of them are chick magnets :D

3. nemethy2004

nemethy2004 New Member

I've been sleeping overnight in my Prius one night a week due to a very strange work schedule combined with my very long commute (I'm too cheap to spend $60/night on a crappy hotel).

I'm 5'-11" and with the rear seats folded flat with an insulite pad, I must seriously admit that I have slept deeper than anytime while camping. I just have to lay diagnolly to sleep straight, but I don't really care, it's incredibly confortable because the seats essentially fold flat. If I crack the windows open the let the cool breeze in, it feels exactly like camping...just watch your head the first time you sleep back there, unlike camping, when you sit up too quick you'll quickly be laying back down holding your head from hitting the dome-light.....

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    with the passenger seat fully reclined one could succesfully perform the ummm err (6.9 liter) there so its not dirty, I changed it to engine size.... ;)

Im 6'4" 270lbs & wear a 13 shoe, I find driving the prius a joy, no complaints.......

5. steventoddcurtis@hotmail.com

[email protected] New Member

Fell asleep in the back with the back seats folded down during a drive-in movie last weekend. Boring movie + Comfy Prius = zzzzzzzz.

6. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    still waiting to read about the relations ......

7. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sleep in mine while I'm driving during the commute. It kind of puts me on an even keel with those clowns reading a newspaper or some report, shaving while they drive, and putting on their makeup (female or male :wacko: ).

8. tcrowson

tcrowson New Member

My wife and I just returned from a 7,500 mile road trip across the USA and we had to sleep in the car when we couldn't find a hotel. We took the Amtrak Car/Train from Florida to DC and sleeping on the train was worse than sleeping in the Prius. See pictures of the car tour at:
    http://photos.yahoo.com/[email protected]

9. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where do you park when you sleep in your Prius? I would worry about police or other people knocking on a window to tell you to move your car or see if you are still alive or something. I would want to park somewhere so I wouldn't be seen but I wouldn't want to not be seen to easily be robbed or something...?

10. fgray30

fgray30 New Member

ilusnforc:

maybe pull the cargo blind over your head if you are not too claustrophobic? :rolleyes:

Also, for those who sleep in the back with the seats folded down, how do you like to arrange the front seats?

I know that the passenger-side seat will pretty much recline all the way back if you take off the headrest and slide the seat base all the way forward. Havn't tried it with the driver's side yet. This gives your feet something to rest on if you are tall.

Or do you put the front seats all the way forward, and the seat backs forward as well?

11. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ltu1542hvy @ Jul 9 2005, 09:28 PM) [snapback]105878[/snapback]</div>
    Gee, I KNOW Prii are bigger inside than they look outside, but, WOW--who'd'a thunk a whole Hummer could fit in one? :eek:

12. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Any updates to camping/sleeping/napping in Prius?

13. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

14. BexarWolf

BexarWolf New Member

On Fridays, it's not unusual for my shift to end around 5a Saturday morning. One weekend, my wife had a benefit garage sale on a Saturday and needed help setting it up. I pulled into the driveway around 5:30a, only to find she's already gone. I called and she asked if I'd come on over to help with setup. Quick shower and I'm out the door. I had been up since about 10a Friday morning but helping out passed the time pretty quickly.

By 10a Saturday morning, I was getting "sleep drunk" and decided it was time for me to take a quick nap in the Prius. Turned it on, set the A/C, put on some tunes and laid the driver side seat back. About 2p, I finally woke up. The battery was still in the middle of the SOC and I was nice and cozy.

So, to answer the one question: Yes, I've slept in the Prius. To answer the question about relations in the Prius: A gentleman never tells.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, an ooooold thread claws its way back from the dead...
    But heck, I just added a page that is at least in part about that:
    http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/nest/
    and various googling for "boondocking" and "sleeping" and "parking
    lots" and such is turning up various pages full of guidelines as
    to what type of pull-in spots might be safe or not. Maybe some
    more experiences could be logged here...
    _H*

16. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am thinking about taking a long road trip out west. I want the ability to take a good nap.

I will most likely stay with friends along the way. I will be bringing my 4lb dog.

What kind of foam would make a good nap bed - I am 5'4''. I am thinking about the hatch as a bed.

I always bring my own pillow and sheets.

The car/train thing looks neat. Wonder how expensive that is.

17. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't, but my friends have (while I am driving). I often wondered if I could sleep in the trunk area (with rear seats in normal upright position). Perhaps put a pillow in there and curl up with a blanket.

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Jun 4 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]454999[/snapback]</div>

I'm 6'3" (only 160lbs) but I fint in there well enough to get some sleep. In fact I do it so often that I carry 2 blankets and a small pillow at all times just for the occational nap.

Since it is not usually as safe as a home I do not recommend it on very long road trips unless you have some form of protection. IE sleeping near a police station or if you are permited to carry a firearm. :unsure:

*I had to answer #3 though* hahaha

19. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Mar 5 2006, 11:39 AM) [snapback]220597[/snapback]</div>
    My first date in the Prius was interested in the electronic but ended up being Baptist which I consider a turn-off (no offense meant). Tomorrow I have a blind date with an atheist. Guys wish me luck!

Eagle lets see if I duplicate your successes which I assume have been piling up. Or did she get pregnant? :lol:

20. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've taken power naps in the driver's seat while on a trip, but that's it -- so far. I'll be doing overnights in campgrounds for the trip to and while at Hybridfest. I can find tent sites $17-$20 range, plus a small surcharge for a site with an electrical hookup. Not free, but worth it -- quieter and more secure than a Wal-Mart lot.

I have a twin size air mattress I'll use with the rear seats folded down and the fronts leaned forward. I'm 6'4", but the mattress and I should fit.

Window tinting addresses the privacy issue some. I plan to leave the hatch open for ventilation, hoping to find campsites where the back end of the car faces something other than adjacent sites. If not, I can pull the hatch down part or all the way and/or crack the windows, and run an electric fan as needed. (I'll have an extension cord for the electrical hookup. I'm not as adventurous as Hobbit with his vent hack.)

For rain and daytime shade, I have a folding gazebo very similar to another of Hobbit's accessories. Now I just need to decide how best to configure mosquito netting.

Throw in a lawn chair, my backpacking cooking hardware, and charcoal for the campsite grill -- and a cooler with a Coors Light or four on ice -- and I'll have a right cozy setup.