1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Slight engine vibration

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by shadow4478, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. shadow4478

shadow4478 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Today at a red light sitting with everything off the engine gave off slight vibration best way to describe it is as if the cylinder misfired the vibration was strong enough to feel it at steering wheel and the driver seat. It did this at 2 different stop lights.
    2017 with 4000km on it

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear that, can you tell us a little more about the circumstances please? Like weather conditions at the time, what your in car settings were, etc.

3. shadow4478

shadow4478 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Weather was about 20c
    Ac was on manual at 19c
    Set to eco mode
    Not sure what other setting you might need

RCO likes this.
  4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's fine did you have the headlights on, because I'm not sure why the engine was running at the lights?
    I'm guessing here, but if you had not got far from home and throttle called for engine power it might run on to warm up the cat converter. Then, as it was reaching the optimum exhaust temp and shutting down, the hybrid battery could have called for a recharge a split second later. Do to see what I'm getting at?

5. ExMachina08

ExMachina08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds to me like it could be two different things. If you are coming off a long recharge you could potentially have over charged the battery and the Prius will then spin the engine to burn off the excess charge which could make some vibration. The other more likely option is that your car could have been doing the "idle dance" where it idles to set the ECU settings. This is normal and will happen occasionally even after the car is warmed up. I notice that my Gen 4 does have some slight vibration when it is idling at a stop and I feel it in the steering wheel and in the brake pedal.

RCO likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    were you in the warm up cycle?

kithmo likes this.
  7. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine does this occasionally as the engine runs and then shuts off because of battery being full.

8. shadow4478

shadow4478 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven’t noticed it since
    It felt like a misfire

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not clear what you mean: engine had shut down? AC was off too, or running? I'm guessing engine had shut down and AC was running?

10. robsnyder20

robsnyder20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you drive with your eco display on, you might realize that the engine is just shutting off and going back into EV. This can happen as the engine braking is being used with regen braking and then after you come to a stop the engine may continue to run for 10 seconds or so and then shuts off. I know its a slight vibration and is noticeable on my 16 prius as well.

11. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Many priuses experiences vibration coming from a complete stop (like accelerating from a red light). Mine went smoothly after replacing the OEM filter with a high flow K&N air filter. The vibration from acceleration went away.